• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to decide between P4 and XP...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caviman2201

My friend and I are trying to decide what to put into a new desktop we're building. It has come down to the decision between the XP 3200+ or the P4 3.0GHz... the only thing I'm confused about is the FSB speeds. Overclocking isn't an issue so don't think about it from that perspective. We just want to know how the Athlon is competitive with HALF the FSB of the 800Mhz P4. Even if the Athlons can process the data faster, the data is getting there half as fast. Please give us some advice, oh wise ones :)

Popular question, and I have reached the point where I realized they are both just as good, given that money isnt an issue. They are both good and its a tough decision.

Therefore, each time a thread like this appears, my answer will be judged on a coin toss; Heads represents intel, tails represents amd (no reason, dosent make a difference)

Here goes: Tails, so my answer is AMD.

The internal fsb is still 200 and the amd has a 10 stage pipline while the intel has 20 so the amd does almost 2x as much work per clock cycle as the intel. But the intel has a higher fsb to compensate. The 3200 is better for gaming while the intel is better for video encoding. You also pay $50 more on average for an intel mobo than you do for an amd one. I would go for the amd.

I would go Intel because you can keep it around longer. With the Intel you will be able to upgrade to 64bit Prescott chips, where the 3200+ is the last of the XP's.

sorry, but a 3.0c at stock would outperform any amd chip at stock in gaming short of the a64's. take overclocking into consideration, and the gap widens.

also, the intel boards are just as cheap, the stock heatsink is fine for mild oc's (3.2-3.3), you get hyperthreading, dual channel ram, ect ect ect.

you just pay a bit more for the chip.

InvisGreenMan said:
I would go Intel because you can keep it around longer. With the Intel you will be able to upgrade to 64bit Prescott chips, where the 3200+ is the last of the XP's.

Im pretty sure the 64 bit prescotts (if they even call them that) will be designed for socket 775. We have reached the begining of the end of socket 478.

Both platforms have reached the end of their cycle, so which ever you choose is inevitably a dead end.

It's very important to know what you are going to be doing with the computer.

A P4 does very well in video encoding and multithreaded applications. An Athlon does very well in games, office applications, and scientific calculations.

Also, you can get by just fine in an AMD system with just 1 DDR module, but for an Intel-based system, you need to have 2 running in dual-channel mode, otherwise, your bandwidth is crippled.

Also, why is overclocking not an issue? Do you enjoy spending about 2-3x as much for the same performance?:)

Edit: I also recommend the A64 route. If I was buying now, that's what I would get.

You realize this is the OVERCLOCKERS FOURMS:D No flame intended
To ask what to run at stock is unnatural. :confused:
If price is not a concern get the athalon 64 or p4 EX. If it is get the xp and the best video card or hard drive you can afford.
What are you going to use it for?

i would go for intel if you have the money, but for about the same price you can get an athlon 64. i would go for the 64, but you asked between p4 and xp, good luck

..Do people ask this question for the fun?...

Well here we go again!

While both processors are arguabley strong in their own rights. You must first consider use.

If your going to use this as an office machine, or play games, but not a whole lot more I'd say go with AMD as that is what they are good for. And there is always the cost to think about, even when it's not an issue (nobody really wants to waste money). They are stable, and reliable. Just don't expect multi-application performance.

If your looking to oc (ever) P4c's are sweet, they are forgivable, stable and come equiped with an overheat protection. They are flexable and most of all....They multi-task like a CHAMP. I can run 3 ACAD applications, surf the net, listen to music and Download-Simultaneously. I can switch between them without delay or pause, ever. You can do the same with games (alt-tab to Windows to see how your dl's are going) and the transition is silk, unless Windows complains.

I have owned performance processors on both proc's and was happy with both. My needs changed, therefore my processor did as well.

Consider your needs, consider expandability and bang for the buck (O/C) then go buy a Pentium...lol

See Sig for my rig~

First of all, I know this is an Overclockers forum... I'm an overclocker myself but my friend (who's computer I'm building) is not. I know there were some experts in here who could better answer my FSB question than I could. Thats why I asked. If I bothered anyone because it was not an overclocking-based question, please accept my humble apology.

Secondly, to those who did answer my question, thanks.

Thirdly, it's going to be used MAINLY for gaming, web-browsing, and office apps. Probably not going to be doing video encoding or heavy multitasking. The A64 is an option as my friend has not actually bought anything just yet. I'll check prices for CPU/Mobo combos for the A64 and compare. I agree that the A64 would definatly trounce the P4 3.0 and 3.2 for that matter. One question, though, would putting an XP on a DUAL CHANNEL motherboard effectively quad-pump the RAM's speed?

And also, can one use just ANY identical pair of RAM sticks or are there special DUAL CHANNEL ram sticks?

Yes, you can use identical pair of RAM sticks, it is not necessary to use special DUAL CHANNEL ram sticks.

People here will generally have a bias either towards Intel or AMD depending on their experience and preference.

If the choice is between the XP and P-4, then the P-4 wins across the board unless you are after a low budget computer. If cost was a consideration, then you should be looking at the XP2500 and not XP3200.

If the choice is between the A64 and P-4, then it's a toss up. If this is mainly a gaming rig with little if any overclocking involved, then go with the A64 3000 or 3200. Price is very similar, but if both are compared at default speeds (as much as this pains me to say) the A64 will be slightly better at most games.

there are dual channel ram kits, yes, but you can also just make sure you buy any two sticks at the same time from the same manufacturer. compatibility issues should be nill, but if you run into probs, you can always rma.

ok... what about the question about Dual Channel Athlon mobo's... how do they fare against some of the faster (533 & 800MHz) P4 setups? Would a 200Mhz Athlon system with Dual Channel RAM be running at the equivalent of 800MHz?

No. Dual channel memory on the AMD Athlon XP platform is still limited by the FSB of the processor, which is either 333 or 400 FSB, slightly more if you overclock. The only thing dual channel memory does is it allows for more efficient communication between the memory and the processor, but dual channel memory does not increase the frequency that the processor "talks" with it at all. Therefore there is only a small benefit to running dual channel on an Athlon XP platform. There is some benefit, but definetely not 2x the performance, its more like 5-10%.

So...it does not operate at 800FSB like the P4.

But you must realize that these two architectures are different. You cannot say that just because one has a 800 FSB it is better than a 400 FSB. It many instances, the bandwidth helps the P4, but in other instances, it makes no difference.

Caviman2201 said:
First of all, I know this is an Overclockers forum... I'm an overclocker myself but my friend (who's computer I'm building) is not. I know there were some experts in here who could better answer my FSB question than I could. Thats why I asked. If I bothered anyone because it was not an overclocking-based question, please accept my humble apology.B]

No apology nessary! I meant it as a joke. I appologize if you misunderstood.:eek:

To try and answer your question a differnt way: The engine displacement of a 1Ton pickup far exceeds an evo8. Which one is better? It depends if your racing or towing. (I am not saying that the athon is the evo 8 of the pc world!) From your post I would say go A64 for gaming.

Back