• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this fit an Opteron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaceRangerJoe

I'm building a new server for my office with a 1.8Ghz Opteron, and this motherboard. I wanted to know if this heatsink will work. It says its for socket 754 boards, and I don't know if the mounting option for that is different from the 940.

the mounting holes for your board go north/south and only two.i have that heatsink but don't know about those holes.you need to be sure of course so hopefully someone here knows. if it's a go or not.

fafnir said:
yes it will, as socket 754's and 940's have identical mounting sets/holes

Thank you.

I guess I might think about getting the dual board. I am certainly not going to get another processor now, since that would be another $400 on the price after getting another CPU and cooler. We certainly don't need the power of a dually right now, and by the time we do need that kind of power, I certainly won't be there anymore :D.

you're welcome,

if you're going to end up going single anyways, the advantages of an opteron over an equivilent athlon64 or FX becomes irrelevent

you would do just as fine with a sn85g4 with a 3400+ and 2gb of normal "kingston pc2700" ram as you would with the opteron system

be sure to run a 64-bit operating system though

Back