• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gluttony!! I have 968, but I want 1000 in my 750 cBO.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anvil

Stable 968 @ 1.74v, with cpu @ 30-34 C on water on an abit bx6 R2.

But I get "Explorer" error at Windows and incomplete scanDisk on reboot at 1.74v to 1.94v, when I try to nudge up to 1000.

Could I be seeing a memory error? Using 128 meg stick from Step for their 500 oc'd p2 333. Probably pc 100, but not sure.

anvil

Could be the memory, but I think you have all the cpu can give...most cB0's tend to top out around 950 or so without supercooling, e.g. water, or peltier, or both.
If you could borrow a stick of known good fast ram, it might help figure out your bottleneck, but I still think your cpu is maxed out. 968 is a good overclock with any cBO....and 32 extra mhz wouldn't get noticed anyway, except in a benchmark.
I would say "way to go" on your 968mhz...not too shabby

You are right, of course. I am pleased with the 968 since that made the 750 a good gamble, but I also thought that reaching 133 would make the bus @ 1/4 right on spec and less likely a prob.

Might try the memory thing, just to see.

anvil

Well I have the same chip and I only could go to 982. so I planning to seel this chip and get a 700. try burning in the cpu or up the voltage more and if that doesnt work It might be your ram

Miknow,

I hope you succeed with the 700. I got the 750 after compuwiz over on Anandtech observed that he had been having trouble getting recent 700's to get 933, ... he had no oc'd chips to sell then (3 weeks ago). I could have gotten proven 933 oc'd chips, but the price was more than retail 750's.

After looking over the database here a good bit, I decided that the retail 750 looked to have about the same chance of 930 as the 700's, but the 750's were often described as failed chips if they could not reach 1 gig. If you consider anything over 930 as gravy in a cBO, then the 750 seems as good a bet as the 700 and cheaper for retail.

So hey ... it worked out as I hoped and I'm still here griping about the gravy! I'm just greedy, I guess, but if it loads the desktop, I just gotta believe full bore is just a tweak away.

anvil

my cC0 P3-750 can do 1Gig but is not very stable. i'm using PAL6035 with sanyo denki. soon i will go for water cooling and hopefully can get more juice out of it!! oh....almost forgot to mention! u are lucky can boot into 968 with 1.84V. i need 1.90V for that kind of speed and 2.05 for 1 Gig!

lightning,

My chip actually runs stable at 1.74 v. I pushed up to 1.84 v only to try at 1000. It boots to Desktop there at 1.74 to 1.84 v, but just hangs with error in Explorer.

BTW, the water cooled system I am using is a homebrew from plumbing parts, + time of course. Holds steady at around 35 to 36 C in games, but if I drop a cooler bag in the pail of water, it comes down to 28 to 29 C. Heat doesn't appear to be a problem.

anvil

Has no one gotten past this type of "Explorer" error??

anvil

I am using a 800 cBo slot type cpu.
It runs great at 1008 or 126fsb but it will give errors after 15-20 mins at 133fsb or 1066mhz.
I think I could get it stable but my motherboard will not let me raise the voltage any more 1.8v is the max.

Raising the voltage seems to be the way to get it stable as I can see a big difference when I adjust it from one setting to another.
I think you are already at max voltage or very close for the cpu so you may just have to live with what you have.

Back