• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get into Windows, screen res too high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsquared_uk

Hi guys,

I used to have an Electron Blue 19 which broke, so I've replaced it with a lesser monitor but I had my screen res on something dumb like 1900 x 1200 and now I can't get into Windows to change it!

I'm running XP - anyone know how to sort it out? I've tried going into Safe mode and VGA mode but I can't see anywhere to change the res for my normal boot, just for that particular session.

Please help, I already feel like an idiot and this keyboard on the Powerbook is annoying!

during bootup, just before it shows the windows logo, press f8. Then select "enable vga mode". It will boot up at low resolution, and you can change it from there. No need to reboot again.

Hmmm, that's what I did, and as soon as I changed it to 1024 x 768 it went black and the monitor went onto powersave. It's not the screen because I'm running the Mac through it now at 1600 x 1200 and it's fine. Weird!

before changing the resolution, set the refresh rate down to 60, and then put the resolution up. That might make a difference.

Thanks guys, but I figured it out eventually - I deleted the GFX card from device manager, as well as the monitors, and then rebooted and it seemed to sort itself out. Very strange though!

Back