• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sorry - amd vs p4 thread - buyer needs serious help tho

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crap said:
The Asus board also seems to overclock well, and it is more stable than the shuttle board. Many people have fried CPUs with the shuttle.

which Asus board is that? the problem im having is my need for more than 2 SATA connectors....i have 4 SATA HDDS (3x 250gb and 1 75gb raptor)) and 2 IDE ones (1x 250gb and 1x 160gb)...

Tornado Guy

i use 3dstudio max, truespace, lightwave and maya a lot

if you are doing 3d rendering / encoding / editing you have nothing to think about... get that P4EE... AMD is GREAT for gaming and office productivity, much better than intel and i´m not even talking on a price/performance comparison... but if you´re doing rendering you CAN´T touch a P4... never mind a EE.. plus, you can get an 875P coupled with ICH5R (ABIT IC7 MAX3, ASUS P4C800E DLX, etc) and you´ll have RAID0 available through the SB instead of the PCI... but really, don´t get AMD for a rendering PC...

why does pentium leave amd behind on rendering etc? my problem is I render but also do LOADS of gaming - hence my p4 vs amd crisis - how much worse is a p4 than an amd at gaming? and how much worse is amd at rendering? il go with whichever has the least trade off (ie if, for example, p4's were worse at gaming than amd's are at rendering - id go amd - etc...)
Thanks

Tornado Guy

Vrykyl said:
why does pentium leave amd behind on rendering etc? my problem is I render but also do LOADS of gaming - hence my p4 vs amd crisis - how much worse is a p4 than an amd at gaming? and how much worse is amd at rendering? il go with whichever has the least trade off (ie if, for example, p4's were worse at gaming than amd's are at rendering - id go amd - etc...)
Thanks

Tornado Guy

Then you should go the AMD route. In rendering AMD is almost always behind, not far, but far enough. Same is true with games, Intel is behind, not far, but far enough. Many benchmarks around the web reflect this exact saying. So if you are worried about mostly games, then go with a nice hefty AMD64 chip. Either way you should be happy.

1) Suppose FX is on average 10% faster than P4EE for gaming. The difference between playing a game a 60 fps and 66 fps isn't going to hurt you, and you can expect the difference to be less than 10%.

2) Now suppose that P4EE is faster by 10% on rendering. That saves you 6 minutes, if it takes an hour to render on FX. The gain here would probably be more appreciated than a gain in frame rate.

Caution: If you leave your machine on overnight, then time savings of 10% does not matter much, unless you render 24/7. So we would be more concerned about gaming, and that means FX is preferred.

Also, if you plan on rendering and gaming at the same time, ex: if you render 24/7, then P4EE will provide better gaming performance and would be the better choice.

Personally I would get A64 3400 because it is cheaper than FX, and doesn't require registered RAM. And the performance difference between it and P4EE and A64 FX is not worth the price difference. But since you are allowed to get the best processor, get the FX. Rendering at 64 bits in the future should theoretically push it faster than the P4EE. Rendering and gaming at the same time = doing half a**ed job on both.

i was thinking about this and this is what I came up with, get the most expensive setup no matter what cpu, then if you don't like it sell it and get what you think is better.

good plan!
just out of interest - does anyone know where on earth can i get mushkin ram IN THE UK??? i want 2gb of any speed (ie up to pc4000 and beyond)
Thanks

Tornado Guy

so the a64 3400 is definately the way for me to go.....? it seems to be the best compromise. how hot do these suckers get? whats the best heatsink to cool em with? a thermalright slk948u?
Thanks

Tornado Guy

Well if the insurance is paying, why not get dual opterons or xeons or something? Why not just get the most expensive combination wou can find, sell it, get a duron system and wait for 90nm AMD's to come out?

Also regarding that Delta, OMG that thing is like the king of fans! It does not get any better than that. /me wants one :drool:

Vrykyl said:

yep - bring on btx - protecting gpu from exploding cpus!!! LOL - it would never have happened if I wasnt so stupid tho.... :D
it was a beautiful week 29 unlocked barton 3000+ 400fsb edition too :cry:
can anyone tell me what the best mobo is for OC'ing an A64 3400?

Tornado Guy

********The AOPEN NFORCE 3 HAS PCI/AGP LOCK **********

Vrykyl said:
so the a64 3400 is definately the way for me to go.....? it seems to be the best compromise. how hot do these suckers get? whats the best heatsink to cool em with? a thermalright slk948u?
Thanks

Tornado Guy

A 948U and a tornado, or decent fan should be PLENTY =D The A64 is rated at 89W *maximum* its pretty conservative though. Ive seen someone hit 2.4 with stock cooler =D

Get a good mobo, vid card and the most expensive CPU, then sell the CPU on ebay and get an A64/P4 to go in the mobo. That will leave you with pleanty of extra dough for cooling or something else.
GET THE MOST EXPENSIVE SYSTEM THEY WILL PAY FOR! Sell it and get whatever you want. (P4 3.4EE, Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, Radeon 9800XT)

why does pentium leave amd behind on rendering etc?
HYPERTHREADING! But a dual system will kill a single processor in rendering/encoding. So dual Opterons would be the smartest choice, especially considering how much rendering you do, plus still be lightning fast in gaming.

But if you don't want to totally rip off the insurance company, get something comparable to what you paid originally. That's probably what they would limit you to anyway :) I would go with an overclocked Intel 3.2e, either Abit IC7 Max3 or P4C800-E and a 9800 Pro.

Last edited:
Vrykyl said:
take a peak in the Emergency 911 section - you wont believe how stupid I was!!!! never install new equipment when your very tired....
The insurance company covers it as "accidental damage".
Cheers Trueweltall, now I understand how you all OC p4's so high!
Anyone have any suggestions then? Thanks

Tornado Guy

that section no longer exists, care to elaborate?

wicked-one said:

But if you don't want to totally rip off the insurance company, get something comparable to what you paid originally. That's probably what they would limit you to anyway :) I would go with an overclocked Intel 3.2e, either Abit IC7 Max3 or P4C800-E and a 9800 Pro.

3.2E?!! Why?!!! The Northwood overclocks MUCH better, is easier on the mobo, and is faster an the equivilant speed. So why prescott?

I am a user of AMD, and this is my recommendation.

Buy anything you want, but stay away from the Pentiums EE and the AMD FX-51. The reason is because these processors are way overpriced. I have to agree with Dippy that the Northwood does overclocks better than the EEs.

Personally, if i want to go for a gaming system, I will go with the Athlon64. So far, they are the fastest for gaming, provided that you have no other software running in the background. Intels are better in multi-tasking compare to AMDs. The Athlon64 are also cheaper compare to the EEs and the FX-51.

If you can wait for a few months, PCI-Express will become the latest standard to replace AGP8X. It will be faster than current setups.

I think you should spend money on the video card than the CPU. Games nowadays are more dependent on the GPU and memory than the CPU.

dippy, picked Prescott, because it actually runs a fair bit faster on encoding. From the very limited results I have seen on Prescott, it overclocks well. Originally had Northwood on the post... Anyway, either one would be close ;)

Nitpicking really, because I would go with the 3.4EE if money was no option.

Back