• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sorry - amd vs p4 thread - buyer needs serious help tho

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
sorry - amd vs p4 thread - buyer needs serious help with choices

sorry to post yet another AMD vs Pentium 4 thread but I am genuinely confused and need a hand with some serious choices.

Yesterday I managed to fry my lovely unlocked AthlonXP 3000+, 5900 ultra and A7N8X mobo :mad: , but having paniced about how I was gonna afford to replace it I phoned my insurance company and Im covered - theyll pay out for a new cpu, mobo and gpu :D on an old for new - my rig was top o the range when I insured it so I'll get top o the range this time.
Now for replacement choices:
GPU - 256mb ATI Radeon 9800 XT (or should I get the pro? which is better?)- no question they're the best there is (tho what make would you guys suggest? sapphire?)

but when it comes to cpu im stuck - my exact choices are -

Pentium 4 3.2ghz Northwood Extreme Edition (altho confusingly this appears to also come in a 3.4ghz version available HERE - is this real? it costs more but if it is 3.4 then this is my pentium contender for my next cpu)

or

AMD Athlon64 FX51 2.2ghz

I will overclock whatever cpu I get - which will overclock for best results on AIR cooling only? I use my cpu for gaming and high performance applications - and I'll admit Im a slave to benchmarking and tweaking to the max. However I'll also admit I know NOTHING about Pentiums or how to OC them - iv always owned amd. So my main questions are -

Which is the best? ie - fastest, will give best results in games and benchmarks? bearing in mind I intend to OC - so this comparison had to be at OC'd speeds (say FX51@ 2.4 and p4@ 3.6ish). Money is not an issue here.

Which will OC best? and more importantly OC the coolest? i dont wana boiler in my pc!! (iv heard the new athlon64s get very hot - and im not even gonna go near prescott)

For each choice which is the best Motherboard (as I need a new one of them too) to go with em thats good for OCing? I wanted sata, raid etc.. and know nothing about pentium mobos at all, and very little about the new amd mobos either

Can I use dual FX's on an Opteron board? thatd be a bad *** system?!

Iv heard the FX51 requires registered RAM - my ram isnt and I CANNOT afford to replace it, and im not trying to claim for it either before anyone suggests it :D - if this is the case then FX51 is a no go (unless the Athlon64 3200 (or 3400+ - is this out yet?) doesnt require registered ram and is better than a p4 3.2/3.4ee @3.6ghz or above?)

What heatsinks do I use for em? For the Pentium4 id definately go with a Thermalright SP94 combined with my 120mm delta (190cfm) - would this be up for the job? And what is the best choice for an FX51 or other AMD64?

As you can see im very confused and need some serious responses to help me choose my replacement rig - sorry for starting what appears to be another amd vs pentium thread - i did read the others but they all seemed to be arguments with no real decision - i need a buyers guide to each chip, its corresponding mobo and which'll be best for me. At the mo im thinking P4 3.4ghz (if its real - can anyone confirm my link to it is genuine?), but im so unsure. I want the best!!! :D
Thanks guys

Tornado Guy

So how did you fry your system and have insurance company pay for it? Pentium is FSB overclocked, you cant change the multi like most AMD's. With the SP94 and 120mm you are set with cooling the cpu on air.

take a peak in the Emergency 911 section - you wont believe how stupid I was!!!! never install new equipment when your very tired....
The insurance company covers it as "accidental damage".
Cheers Trueweltall, now I understand how you all OC p4's so high!
Anyone have any suggestions then? Thanks

Tornado Guy

yes the P4 3.4 EE is real i just search newegg and its there. about that 120mm delta 190cfm? do you have a link to this? id like one:D . about your intel amd debate, id go intel and just try something new. then again i know nothing about amd which is probebly why i said intel:p good luck

abitavenger

you can get my Delta monster from HERE mate . The pressure it produces is immense too!!!!

Tornado Guy

thanx ill pick it up when i get my sp-94, will a 120mm fan fit onto a sp-94?

EDIT: crap i just went to the link and it doesnt look like they will ship to US :( no wonder i coulndt find any on newegg or anywhere else

soooo...anyone got any suggestions for the cpu and motherboard i should choose? Having verified that the p4 3.4ghz extreme edition does exist its now a choice for me between that or an FX51. Can anyone answer my other questions??

Tornado Guy

I would personally choose the Athlon64 3400+. It smokes the P4 in gaming benchmarks, and is easily on par with the fx-51 with a much lower pricetag. It even beats the FX in many gaming benchmarks. Plus, you wouldn't have to invest in new ram if you do go with AMD. As for a motherboard, everyone seems to think that the Shuttle AN50R is the best overclocking board for the A64. As for the video card, if you have the money to blow, go for the XT.

Crap said:
Plus, you wouldn't have to invest in new ram if you do go with AMD.

what do you mean by that? does the p4 3.4ghz need registered RAM????

Tornado Guy

Crap said:
I would personally choose the Athlon64 3400+. It smokes the P4 in gaming benchmarks, and is easily on par with the fx-51 with a much lower pricetag. It even beats the FX in many gaming benchmarks. Plus, you wouldn't have to invest in new ram if you do go with AMD. As for a motherboard, everyone seems to think that the Shuttle AN50R is the best overclocking board for the A64. As for the video card, if you have the money to blow, go for the XT.

Agreed. Put any extra dough you have into cooling. The 3400+ doesn't need registered memory. If you have the money to spend for an EE, you'd be far better off buying, for example, a Vapochill and a 3200+/3400+ rather than an FX51 or EE on air.

Trueweltall said:
So how did you fry your system and have insurance company pay for it? Pentium is FSB overclocked, you cant change the multi like most AMD's. With the SP94 and 120mm you are set with cooling the cpu on air.

negative. The fx-51 has a changable multiplyer. Thanks for playing!

You lose.

Crap said:

What are you smoking? You better read the link I posted earlier. Clearly the 3.4EE is the winner in everything except UT. Even beating the FX51.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3307281

Wait till march when socket 939 comes out and get a 3700+Then if your not saticfied with that throw in a fx53 in the same board.

What about the Prescott? It will hit 4gig on air, and it's already been done. I would seriously consider that and get the Abit IC7 Max 3 along with it. Good luck!

BS BS BS go read around ...the prescotts run hot as hell.Just look what every website said about overclocking it and look what tedinde got with his in a prom.His is aslo a 3rd stepping chip.

So you are saying that the prescott's won't do 4 gig on air because the temperature problems? well at stock speeds they are equal to northwood. so does that make prescotts a waste of money?

Back