• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help O/Cing my FX5900se

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^^^ it can be seen that is the issue - if people could not see it then how would we know about it?

i can see it because other people point it out

"hey how come on my ATI card i can see this but on your nvidia you cant"

if i never found out i could not see it then fine - but the proof is out their and so i wonder "Why can i not see this" to then find out the company is cheating me out of quality to make their product look better so they can charge more money for it and i get less.

No offense to you Mr.Guvernment, but this seems neither the thread, nor the forum to debate such things. The original post is looking for help overclocking his card, not our opinions on nVidia vs. ATI. If sLk wants to get opinions on ATI vs. nVidia, another thread is the answer, as those threads usually get rather heated quite fast :p .

Regarding the throttling, my card seems to be doing it at rather low temperatures (under 75 degrees celcius). I'm hoping watercooling will solve the problems of that during high core speed benchmarking sessions.

either way.. my 5900se is for the most part.. on a cool day... happy at 475/800.. but if my comp is a bit warm.. then i may have some artifacts runnin those speeds.... not bad if you ask me

hrmm.... i cant say i have tried anythin that high.... yet... but i will VERY SOON now that you mentioned it..

you do any mods, applications of AS at all to anythin.. or totally stock cooling?

^^^ what is the cooling like in your case? maybe add an extra fan or put a duct in the side of the case onto the card.

OperativeSix - i think my post was perfectly fine in here as the person was asking what card to get and i simply explained reason not to get one card - sorry for trying to help someone make a good decision as opposed to a bad one as they may not have known the background behind either company and i just pointed it out - so now along with the informatio i provided and what other have provided they can make a much more informed choice no matter which way they go.

Buhammot said:
hrmm.... i cant say i have tried anythin that high.... yet... but i will VERY SOON now that you mentioned it..

you do any mods, applications of AS at all to anythin.. or totally stock cooling?
my card has (stock) cooling. but i have 2x100mm fans in the side of my case. my ambient case temp is usually 24c idle, and up 30c after some heavy gaming. atleast thats what Riva Tuner reports the temps as

I am using the latest 56.55 drivers and the collbits registry hack to OC. There is an Auto detect feature that will find a stable setting to OC to. When I use it the settings go to 476/822 and I played call of duty for an hour after that without problems.

I have gone higher but I am more than satisfied with the above settings. I have my AGP voltage at 1.8 volts and I removed the heat sink, did a cheesy lap job and reinstalled with ASIII. This is on an eVGA 5900se.

5900se

I have PNY 5900se 128mb version. I got this week ago. My 5900se runs 2D 377/985, 3D 475/985. Also I flashed with 5950 Ultra bios. Stock cooling 45'C,around 55 full load. I need better cooling.

Re: 5900se

joon82 said:
I have PNY 5900se 128mb version. I got this week ago. My 5900se runs 2D 377/985, 3D 475/985. Also I flashed with 5950 Ultra bios. Stock cooling 45'C,around 55 full load. I need better cooling.
it amazes me that some of these 2.8ns 5900 SE's will run that high even with the 5950 bios. a very risky game imo. i wouldn't even think about flashing mine to a 5950. well maybe after i get a NV 40 card. you know, just for the hell of it ;)

Re: Re: 5900se

Burnt_Ram said:
it amazes me that some of these 2.8ns 5900 SE's will run that high even with the 5950 bios. a very risky game imo. i wouldn't even think about flashing mine to a 5950. well maybe after i get a NV 40 card. you know, just for the hell of it ;)

The reason the PNY FX5900SE cards are running so high is because: They aren't FX5900SEs, they're FX5900s!!!

:D

EDIT: Please note I'm talking about *ONLY* the PNY FX5900SE *ONLY*, not other brands like the eVga models.

I just did a post about this since I own one:

PNY FX 5900SE cards are really FX5900's in case you didn't know

To all of you PNY FX5900SE owners, now you know why your cards are clocking so high. They have 2.2ns memory on them.

If you flashed a real 5900SE with 2.8ns memory with a 5950 Ultra BIOS you're probably going to kill the card because 2.8ns memory is going to max out just over 900 MHz. Don't take any unnecessary chances with this hardware, no sense ruining it or destroying it just for a few fps.

br0adband

i have a bud that just bought a PNY 5900SE and (it) has 2.8ns ram (390/700). so it looks like they where just throwing in 5900's to fill orders ! not all PNY 5900 SE's are ordinary 5900's. they actually do make a true 2.8ns SE. so some of you are really lucky !

Back