• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new video card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chayos00

As far as the video card goes I'm thinking between the "SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP" or the "CHAINTECH GeForce FX 5900 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "A-FX98"".

Stock the ATI is 380mhz core speed and 680mhz ram, while the GeForce is 400mhz core and 850mhz ram.

But from the reviews that I have seen about both the cards, the ATI is slower stock, but they both can be clocked up the 475mhz for the core speed and 960mhz ram speed. From the results the nvidia card has a bit better score.

I've also seen a few posts about the ATI having issues but I've never seen anything about the GeForce.

So what's the deal with the two which one is better???

Overall for DX8 OpenGL and anything lower than DX9 the 5900 would be a good pic. Hovever for newer games that use DX9 and almost all games that will come out in the future the 9800pro would be better. The 9800 pro also provides better "eye candy" and I've had no problems with any ATI drivers. Another helpful thing you could give us in this decision is the price of these two cards (bang for the buck) and where you plan on getting them from.

The cards are gonna be from newegg. ATI $227 and GeForce $249. The setup is gonna be a AMD 64 3200+, 512 ram (gonna upgrade to 1G in a few months when I get the cash), ASUS KV8 Deluxe, Aspire 520w pwr supply, Maxtor 80G SATA drive.

Or see this post for more detail http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=268862

Plus I really don't have any new games that I play, actually I don't play them that often. Like GTA 3, with my current setup I average 13-15FPS. Star Trek Elite Fore 2. Those are the two that I have played reciently. I currenly have a dell dimension 8100 P4 1.3G w/Geforce 2 MX400.

Back