• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

llChaosll

Whats up yall, Im new to this thread & came upon cuz I was thinking of Overclocking my System. I dont know anything about it but I read some articles & stuff. I doubt I will even try but I was just wondering whats the most I could overclock my system? I have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon XP 2800 Barton, 1024 DDR PC3200 Ram, Ati Saphire 9800XT, & 80 Gig Drive. I have the retail Heatsink & Fan that came with it (Im guessin I need a new Heatsink & Fan). l0l
Just wondering how fast could I get it considering it runs at 2GHZ now. Thanx alot for the feedback.

the best way is to go in to your bio's and up your FBS stock it 166 in there i think i got my 2800 to 174 on stock cooling which would be 2175MHz. with some good cooling you should hit 2.3GHz to 2.4GHz. to get higher speeds you will have to up your Vcore and i would do that on stock cooling

so i would start uping your FBS watching your temps (you can use Fanspeed 4.09 for it) and see how stable it runs and keep uping if from there

if you have any more ?'s just ask

Welcome to the Forum

Ight man thanx alot for the help
Another question... If I up the FSB settins little by little would the cpu still show output on the monitor when I start up? & if it doesnt how would I go about getting it back working? From what I read you have to Clear CMOS right? & I know where that is on my MB, from looking at the manual. Thanx alot for the help. Greatly appreciated.
& another thing, you said best way to go is bring the FSB to 166 & up it from there. Why would I bring it down considering the FSB is 200 for the cpu? Im a little confused sorry man l0l

if it dont post then you have to clear CMOS, then go back thorw and set it to where it posted last.

stock the 2800 is 166 x12.5 166x2 gives you the 333MHz FBS the 2800 has

no problem about the confustion i know how you feel

Ight no prob, Thanx man
If I go ahead & do it & its successful I'll post the results
Im a little shook of doing it though l0l

First before you do anything get the latest BIOS and set BIOS cacheable to "enabled"

N-force chipsets and your's especially are prone to BIOS corruption. My friend and I corrupted the BIOS of his A7N8 Deluxe less than a week ago. Sadly it wouldnt boot until we got a new BIOS chip.

That being said do this first!

Now, it wasnt peticularly difficult to get my freinds 3000+ to boot 400FSB. We corrupted the BIOS when trying to boot past 220. To enable OCing Options set everything to "user defined"

IMHO I would set your multiplier to 11 (if your CPU is unlocked). If you dont know if it is unlocked or not try changing the setting to a multi that is higher or lower. If your CPU is locked it wont boot.

To force it to boot pull the power plug, wait a little bit, plug it back in and restore your setting.

Now if it does boot, simply and immediatly just jack up the FSB to 400 and bingo you got a 3200+. AFAIK you dont need to increase the voltage any to get it to work comfortably @ 3200+ speeds. However any further and you migh need more pow3r!

Good Luck!

ya post your results id love to see them yw on the help. the system in my sig was my first oc so im fairly new still hang out around here and you will learn alot there and alot a cool people here
Good Luck with your oc

as Sentential said if you can change yout multi than set i to 11x200 then you get the 400MHz FBS i would do it but my PC-2100 dont like high FBS's

Last edited:
Yo Sentential, I did exactly what you said & it worked. I checked the temps on the Bios & they still run the same way they did b4 I overclocked it. I adjusted the Mutliplier to 11 like you said & put it to User Defined & Bios Cacheable to Enabled. It booted up & said AMD Athon XP3200+ on Bootup. I left it & it runs at 2.21Ghz now. I just did it so its working fine. Hopefully when I run games it wont mess up or overheat. Ima leave it like this. Thanx 4 the help man!! I appreciate it
Layta!

Alright, Last question What should my CPU Temp be? & How can I check? Im not gonna leave my cpu on until I find out cuz I dont want to burn this **** l0l
Anyway what program or how can I tell? & what temp it shouldnt pass? Thanx man, You guys helped me out a lot
Im Out!

Speedfan 4.09 works good for temp's

good temp would be anything under 50c mine runs 37c idle to 43c load

I just messed with mine alil more and got it to 12.5x189 at 12.5x190 i got the blue screen of death. Cant wait till i get some PC-3200 see where it can top out at

Last edited:
Alright man, everything seems to work fine but I have a problem. The Cpu Temp keeps changing from 51 to 52 C. You said anything under 50. Does the xtra 1 or 2 degrees really mean a lot? Even when I dont overclock the Cpu my Cpu still says 52 C.
Thanx 4 the help again.

those temps are still pertty good im watching mine right now after i up it to 189x12.5 the temps are the same for me so im happy still. i was around there to with my stock cooling

Alright guess Im leaving it the way it is. Its runnin pretty fast & I notice the little xtra speed in it l0l
Thanx again Deadman & Sentential, I'll be having fun using this baby from now on l0l
take care yall
Layta!

I've got an extra Aerogate II that has four thermistors and four fan controls, which is quite nice to have. The thermistors are very accurate, much more so than the socket probe's (as long as you have it mounted correctly) it also look very, very nice. Look it up online, you won't find it for any price lower than 45.99, and I will sell it for $25 + shipping, of course. They're a great thing to have - I love mine, but I have an extra one cause I needed a black one :-/

Last edited:
Good to hear!

Unfortunatly/fortunatly, this is just the start down the slippery slope. Before you know it you will be at the bottom using phase-change or watercooling.

Believe me I know.......Im almost there:-/

Ight man, the Cpu runs good. Im just posting my Benchmark score. It turned out to be 6250 running the 3D Mark 2003. I dont really know what score is good or what not. Is that good? Should it be better? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanx alot in advance

& another question, I got the retail cooling on my ****. Is it possible to overclock the cpu even more to at least to a 2.3 or 2.4Ghz? I dont have any other type of cooling so Im guessin not. But let me know what I could. Thanx yall!

Last edited:
Back