• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 Northbridge Heatsink Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you NEED to o/c your system? ;)

From what I've read, you really should have some sort of active cooling if your fsb is over 250mhz (mine's at 260). That's one of the reasons I put one on. I'd recommend it but you'd probably be ok unless you want to keep your board for a few years, troublefree. Cheap insurance.

-Bobby

Sorry what I meant was the filter not the fan.

I'm only ocing my computer like 16.5% which is from 200 FSB to 233FSB 3.0c. I dont think this is a problem but since the 3.0 on up has a high multiplier then it will be hotter then the 2.4.

You read my predicament im in when I oc in room temp of 80F vs 70F. Any sudjestions?

Thermalrite 947u, Smartfan 2, My cpu temp and case temp are in the cool area.

Last edited:
here is the pic of my fan on my nb.i tried o/c to 255 and tightening my dram and wasnt stable so i kept my timings tight and left my fsb at 250.its stable.my temps at idle are 30c for cpu and 32 for the nb.under a load with prime 95 torture 49c for the cpu and 37 for the nb.I didnt notice a big diff with the nb fan but im sure does a little.

hsf.jpg

Polargoat, is that a thermaltake fan on ur nb? where did u get it? is that the asus stock hsf for nb? ur rig looks cool to me :)

btw, if u increase ur fsb, try relaxing ur timings to 2.5-7-3-3 not tighten them :)

Whats the temp the Northbridge controller should be at before it gets hot and reboots the machine?

I think i got the TT fan from www.frozencpu.com but i went there last night and coudnt find it so i might be wrong.
I would like to keep my timings tight instead of upping my fsb due to gameplay.If i loosen my timings i loose important map loading times.I like being one of the first peeps in the map.The fsb wont get me in the map any faster its the ram.Im not sure if i said this before but im not lookin to get the best benchmark or to get the highest fsb but have a fast cpu and also fast ram for gaming.
The hs for the nb is stock but i had to mod some of the fins to make room for the gpu hs.As you can see that hs for the 9600 is friggin huge and the nb hs fins got in the way so i snapped them off.As far as what temps the nb can handle im not sure.I know they can reach 37c though..hehehe

o ya thanks for likin the setup.Its a Thermaltake xaser III with a TT hs on the video card and the TT fan on the nb.Also i have a big TT ensignia aplique on the side window.As you can tell im a big TT fan.I did have the TT spark hsf on the cpu but it was way too noisy and i ended up switching to the coolermaster jet 4.alot quieter but doesnt cool as well

cool, thanx for the link but i couldnt find that tt for ur nb so i got sunon instead :) I guess ull have to vdimm mod if u want to run ur timings that aggresive.

funny, i was just looking at that thread.Im not sure i wanna go that far tho.looks a lil too complicated for me but i will think about it.ill def use the grabbers if i do it.Why havent you dont it yet?

nope, no plans... my rig is perfectly stable right now, i dont want to change anything hehehe

yup i could but not much :) are the timings ur using right now ur ram's suggested? if not, what are? coz those look tight timings to me :)

u mean ur ram's suggested is 2-6-3-2 and now ur using 2-5-3-3 and will attemp 2-5-2-2 :) i got it hehehe, ok gd luck dude!

im just waiting for my nb fan now :) hehehe did u screw urs? or used glue gun?

Back