• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to overclock and dont know where to start please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skta74

Registered
Hi im new to overclocking and i have a asus 5200 with 128 ddr and athlon xp 2600 epox 8rda+ and kingston 2x 256 ddr at pc 3500 at 166fsb looking to speed up everything possible:D

If you want to know where to start, start at your FSB: your RAM is serious overkill for so low a FSB.

Regardless of whether or not your XP 2600 is locked, you can still up the FSB in the BIOS; up it a few MHz, then you can test your system in prime95 for stability (most people say 24 hours is sufficient), if it doesn't crash, you can continue upping the FSB. I wouldn't know where to begin the FSB on your processor at, as I'm not familiar with the 2600, nor do I know what stepping you have. Since it's 166MHz by default, you might want to jump it to 175 and then test it.

Edit: I forgot--WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! :D:D:D

welcome to the forums

I dont know if this is the forum you want to start in. Volting is not for the faint of heart or new OC'ers either. Your cooling should be enough to give you 2.2 ghz with 1.8 Vcore, and the EPOX should let you get 220 fsb out of that. But I would try a 200 X10 run with Prime 95 to see how that goes.

Welcome to OC Forums
the first thing before you start overclocking is , What are your temps? need to keep an eye on those Motherboard Monitor is a common one to use . Here is where you can get that ,
after that is installed , some say Prime is a good testing utility , but I prefer This as it puts full load on your processor and helps find cures . this will give you full load temps , keep them under 55C , some will say that is too high , but it wont kill it .

good luck and may happy times

silent bob

Back