• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Xaser III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Arch,

well I've finished the mods on my Xaser V case, system is nearly built. I'm arranging some photos on Photobucket, will let you know when they are done.

Hoo Roo

Ray

Yep, its still going, :).

I've got pics so far of what I've done here http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo115/raywise_2008/

Because I stupidly bought the steel version of this case instead of aluminium, I needed to reduce some of the weight. Cutting out the other side panel, removing the floppy dive holding bay, plus a few other holes in the lid took a decent chunk out of it. But it is the DOOR of these things that weighs so much more than it needs to.

I was going to paint the inside a nice dark orange, for a real contrast to the outside blue, but the metallic blue I found instead seems ok.

Anyway, I've had heaps of fun so, still waiting on a cable sleeving kit plus some fan filters to arrive, more piccies in a few days.

Hoo Roo: beer:

Ray

Hey Guys, I'm New to OCF and I just had a quick Question to see if anyone has tried this. I am looking into modding my V1000A Xaser III. Some of the things I want to do to it are painting the inside of the case black, adding some more lighting, cut some new holes for better wire management. I also want to add some better fans to the case.

My question is has anyone tried replacing the front 2 80mm fans with 120mm and still leave the front door of the case attached. I was also considering do this to the 2 Exhaust fans on the back of the case. I was just hoping if someone has tried doing this succesfully if they have pics that they might share to see how it looks ones done.

Thanks in advance.

I think someone earlier in this thread did it but i'm not sure. I don't think it would be too hard but it might look a bit funny. You would also have to think about what to to with the drive cages. The case is certainly wide enough for 120mm fans though. I'd recommend drilling out the bottom of the front door if you want a bit more airflow, it made a diffeence to mine.

man alive, ive been on and off these boards for quite a while and this thread always seems to find its way to the top everytime i come back lol.

I plan to start some changes to a Xaser III i acquired a week ago tomorrow -

My main issue is the 7 X 80mm fans - i would like to use the 92mm fans that i have that come with filters and silicone noise reducers - they are noctua at the back - i also wouldnt mind swapping the 2 80mm fans with one 120mm fan

Plan for tomorrow:
1) Pick up sidepanel with window
2) Pick up 5.25" HDD silencer/cooler
3) Remove Harddrive Cage - this is attached with rivets - how do i remove rivets? -

4) Install either a ZALMAN 7700CU OR a THERMALTAKE BIG TYPHOON
Which one should i use - which is quieter?
5) I have 4 X 80mm fans and 2 X 120mm fans and 2 X 92mm fans:
Should i remove the grille from the rear of the case to install the 80mm fans OR
should i remove the grille with a dremel to accomodate 92mm or even 120mm fans

And how do i install new holes if i follow that option? It will depend on space

6) With that fan controller - should i use it? Can't i just set up PWM without using it?

7) That blue thing that you can use with it that has 2 fans attached - is that any use to me? will it affect temps if i remove it

8) I also have an issue with the key and lock at the front - when i lock it, the lock that moves behind the front faceplate obstructs the closing clip thing if i turn it so i can remove the key, how can i resolve that

I plan to go through this thread from page one, collecting ideas

:eek:

Ooops. Sorry guys, completely forgot to show my finished Xaser V case. Its running like a dream, and I've shaved a good 2 kilograms from it by cutting out the back side panel, and removing the front door. That door weighs a ton!.

I made a small error when cutting out the side holes in the window, the front hole cannot accept a normal thickness fan because the hard drive rack gets in the way. Oh well, runs great and cool anyway.

Last 2 pics here are the finished case. http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo115/raywise_2008/

Hoo Roo :beer:

One childhood dream fulfilled: posting my self-build watercooling system on Overclockers Forums! Only took half my life to actually get round to doing it. I'm such a peasant...

58769356_10156305696744109_5322247503821668352_n.jpg

Back