• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Xaser III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I recently cut a blowhole in my plexiglass-side window. It cracks REALLY easily! :eek: So if you're going to do it, be very careful!

Mine's got a crack going from a srewhole on the top hole (over the cpu), down to a screw hole on the bottom one (over the video card). If you're cutting metal, it's a much easier task. But the plastic is too brittle (lacking a good thickness and native "moisture" or flexibility factor). The heat (friction) from the circular drill bit is what caused it to crack. It was heating up the plastic to a melting point! I'll be hitting up Home Depot soon to get a new window!

Thats unfortunate Dart,I plan to use a device that has a arm
coming off of a drill bit that has a lathe type cutting bit on it.
I will take the window out of the door to cut it.This way I can keep the plexi-glass from melting with a water hose.Of course
you have to use a grounded drill motor.I'll let you know how it turns out.:DThe metal one below the plexi-glass will be cut with tin snips.
Its possible that the Thermaltake Xaser III Case fans do the
37CFM in free air.On the Xaser III you have to cut out the fan
grids to decrease the resistance of the little holes in the grid.
I cut mine all out,rear and top also.Today I took off the fiiters to clean them.The air flow is so good I hate to put the filters back
on.You can actually feel the air coming past the HDDs.I cut the
plastic side bullseyes from in front of the side fans too.Well
Keep your flow up and temps down:THE FANMAN:cool:

Last edited:
thats acralic (sp?) right?

well i sota...got some from my teacher and that best way to cut it is (if u got the right kind) its a heater that heats it up so it dont snap so easy and u can use a very sharp kinfe or drill atchment.

i used a dimend knife and it cut throw thin stuff very easy.

but doing what archilochus siad on cuting shold work if he uses cool water and not cold water. u dont want cold because the heat from the drill (or what evry hes useing to cut it with) will make it crack.

for those of you wanting to cut the side window, why not use a solder or something to melt away the plastic and not cut it, it may not look good in the end, but it will sure get the grill out of the way. try this and let me know how it goes

i think you can pick one up cheap, dont need a very good one. i think most hard core overclockers would have a solder tho to mod their boards and things like that

i use my friends if i need one. but i could just take a kinfe and take my little kit that heats metels with a 120 plug in.

i will try that....i gota find it first...give me a few years...i tihkn its better just to go to the store and get one.....i will be going in 2 hours to pick up somethings so i will get one then

Thanks for the ideas on cutting the side window.A soldering
gun cutting blade may work.If I use it,Ill cut a little shy of the
line so I can file a smooth edge.Today I cut the grill out of the
plastic top blow hole cover.I then mounted a wire finger guard
on it.The cover looks like a speaker grill.First I enlarged the holes.
But it still had back pressure.So I cut a 3 inch round circle and
no more back pressure. THE FANMAN:cool:

Wow I might have to try some of this stuff. I did notice that there is hardly any air coming out of the top fan and most blows down, so i might have to cut the holes out. I will keep you posted

i got the blue Xaser III.didnt like the 3 shades of blue so i decided
to paint it red.
PICT00010sm.JPG

PICT0002sm.JPG

when i get the chance im gonna put a 120mm blowhole
for the top exhaust.im also gonna paint the bare metal black.

bright red ...

looks almost like the case i am thinking of geting only its gona be black and with a glass on the side....7 fans....and with some moding it will be relly cool and nice looking

Sixshot have you cut the fan grids from the front and rear fans?
Top blow hole looks nice.I cut a 3 inch circle in the plastic grill on top of the case.Then mounted a wire finger guard on it.Looks
like a mod in the future on your side door!I'm gonna get you guys
some pics this weekend.THE FANMAN:cool:

Back