• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WC Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluediamond

Here is a pic of my first wc setup. I have a Koolance Exos External WC system, Swiftech CPU and GPU block and a Koolance HD block. Currently my temps are 35 idle and 40 load. These are 15 degrees cooler than my air cooling setup, but I still want it to run cooler. I was thinking of adding another radiator to the front of the case with the 120mm fan as well as increasing the tubing size from 1/4" to 3/8". Any comments/suggestions?

Attachments

• xaser.jpg
    xaser.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 382
I say buy a new pump and a chevette heatercore, That will run ~$70, but it will be much better than what you have. Btw what inspired you to buy an exos?

It may not be as easy to change the tubing as you think. The (2) 12v pumps in the exos kit are pretty small. They may not be able to push enough liquid through tubing (1/2") of too big a diameter.

If the kit is "smartly" designed, It has already been proven that even 3/8" tubing based system can perform at a decent rate.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles545
http://www.overclockers.com/articles542
http://www.overclockers.com/articles549

All from the year 2002.

I would go the Radiator route to increase performance. Hopefully you won't take too much of a flow hit.

I have to say, that does look nice, but that 1/4" tubing is a major killer, I wish my case looked that nice on the inside though...
I too must ask, for a person that seems to know quite a bit about overclocking(judging by your sig rigs), Why would you get an EXOS system? And also, Why cool the hard drives with water when you have a Xaser III case? Isn't that enough air flow?

Thanks for the comments. The biggest reason that I went with the Exos is that 1. I wanted an external system, and 2. I read some very positive reviews about the Exos versus the Acquarius III. I did quite a bit of research concerning this system and plan to use this as a starting point for my wc setup. I knew that the 1/4" tubing would be too small for any serious cooling, so I have been planning on replacing it with 3/8" and see what it does from there. All in all I am happy with my Exos system (I am 15 degrees cooler than when I was using just air), it was incredibly easy to set up and it is doing what it is designed for.

I'm actually surprised that it's doing so well now. Nice setup!

Maybe you should look more at airflow than waterflow right now, as the Exos would seem to be happiest running the way it is.
More air through the radiator may help it out alot. With the pumps it has, larger tubing may actually make the water move more slowly than it does now.

What size fans are in it now, and are they noisy? How much air flow would you say it's pushing? Can they be traded for some more-gooder ones?

Nice looking set up too, did you paint the inside of the case? I think the Xaser cases are butt ugly on the outside, but you've made the insides look good.

Well actually so far its looking really good. those temps look good and everything. I dont see anything wrong with 3/8OD tubing if its doing alright. If your happy with it, theres nothing wrong with it.

Jon

I went ahead and installed a new D-TEK JR-120 Pro-Core Radiator and my temps dropped from 35/40 to 30/34!!!, even with the 1/4" tubing and the "wimpy" Exos pump, I would say those temps are pretty impressive.

Back