• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie to linux got a few quick questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

just installed mandrake 9.2 on my pc..... this is the first time i ever used linux and i have seemed to learn the basic commands and the interface etc but i do have a few simple questions

i downloaded mozilla firefox .8 and extracted it and opened it up and it works fine (that is what i am using to write this)... however, it is in a folder in my documents menu... how do i get a "shortcut" (in windows terms) to it on my start menu?

also, all of my mp3's are on my windows partitions (ntfs win xp)... i can open them up and play individual mp3s, however, i cannot figure out how to make a mp3 playlist of all of the files because they are on a ntfs partition (default media player on this system is totem)

also, how do i force quit something (like ctrl+alt+delete in windows)?

thanks for everything!

alright well i think mandrake 9.2 might have slightly different commands?
i extracted xmms fine
i try and install xmms by doing what is said in the readme file :

cd xmms-1.2.8
./configure
make
make install

but when i type in ./configure after going through a lot of different stuff i get this error:
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

and then when i type in make it says no makefile found

This is because mandrake does not come with a gcc compiler installed by default.

Back