• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would this hunt anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaTE

our cable line comes in and has a 2-way spliter, one line runs to the tv and the other to the cable modem, i was wondering if it would hunt to put another 2-way spliter on the line running to the cable modem? if it wont hurt anything, what speed of spliter would i need? i have one thats rated for 5-900MHz, also what type of cable would i need to run from the spliter to the cable modem?

::plays banjo and redneck music::

redneck.jpg

Does this answer your question. Don't ask me which goes to the modem... all I know is it is split a million ways and I still get good tv reception/broadband speeds (higher than listed).

I think it comes into the house from the far left.
Goes thru 1>2 splitter.
One goes to another splitter (purple).
Another goes to the cable modem (purple).
The splitter then splits the cable to the living room, parents room, brothers room, and my room.

Last edited:
lol that looks like mine pretty much :p

one thing my cable company did say was the fewer splits, probably the better (just in case) if the signal gets weak due to many splits, then there could be problems with the strength and you might lose your connection for a moment at a time... so i would try to split the cable connection as few times as possible. i know at my house, my cablemodem is connected thru 2 "Y" splitters before it hits my modem is doesn't have a problem...

Ahh if only I had my digital camera with me (friend is borrowing it). Ours is crazy! The 3 main splitters are all in my room behind a panel in the wall, then we got a few 2 port ones further out on the other side of the house. All our lines are digital and our speeds are faster than the advertised speed by like 1MB on the download. Also, all splitters are 1Ghz ones, they are harder to find so usually I ask the cable tech for one or two whenever we need them to come out if there is a prob, lol.

CABLELAYOUT.JPG

Blue boxes are the splitters btw. Hopefully I explained our setup well. The last tech guy that came out loved how its setup and said we did better than 90% of the setups he sees, lol. :D

If you got any questions feel free to ask. :p

I also have never had probs but I did when I had a 900Mhz once right before the modem, the 1Ghz fixed it. Also, my signal strength is perfect right now too, since I was gonna move it to the main but I ended up not needing to.

HaTE I think you should be good, give it a try and see what happens since you already have the splitter.

Last edited:
ok thanks for all the replys, but what kink of cable do i need, the cable running to the modem now has no markings.

RG6 cable and get yourself a splitter that is rated for 1000mhz , not
900mhz, I know from my situation. I had 5-900mhz splitters and had issues with TV signal, cable CO. came out and replaced the splitters with ones that handle 1000mhz.

Basically just your regular coaxial cable. I also had the tech make me a few 7ft calbes, lol. Our techs are very nice, just be nice to them and talk with them and they will be nice and talk back. :)

The cable that you want should be RG-6. It is slightly bigger around than the older RG-59. This is the same cable used for digital cable and satalites. The F-connector is the same at the thread end and therefore connects the same as the RG-59.

The rule is, the fewer the splits the better. Also, the fewer breaks the better. Your TV wants between 7-10 db. More or less gives poor quality TV. I don't know about broadband. Because you have a range of 7-10, most people find that it works fine.

Each break and split reduces the signal strength. If you have too many, you dip below 7 db and you start to see trouble.

*edit* Overall length also has a role in signal loss. I think that it's 1 db per 1000'.

Back