• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Guide to Setting up Your Own Apache Server on Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Browsers access FTP with the username "anonymous", so if there is no anonymous user setup, they will get nothing. Serv-U settings can be messed with in the Serv-U Admin Panel (Start>Programs>Serv-U>Admin OR by double clicking on the green U on your taskbar).

1) Create a new user under yoururl.no-ip.com server.
2) Username should be "anonymous" without quotes.
3) If it asks for a password- dont put anything in (if you put in anonymous correctly it wont ask for a password).
4) The directory will be somewhere in the WWW folder.
5) Check the directory access priviledges, and ensure that it is not giving them any other priviledges other than READ and LIST and INHERIT.
6) Save settings and give it a test. If it works, let me know and I will include this in the guide :D. Thanks!

If you want to test my anonymous access- go to ftp://jeffsrig.no-ip.com. It is linked to the HTTP url: http://jeffsrig.no-ip.com/oc/ . It will give you a list of all the files im hosting for the classifieds (and for my oc-forums use). But you will not be able to write or alter any of the files contents or names.

Last edited:
alright i set it up and the ftp site seems to be working... seeing as my friends are sending me obscene files ;) but for some reason my network computers can't access it. ATM it's all passworded, i **do not**<<=(Edit) have anonymous user enabled.

yea the 2 computers on the network can see the http site but can't open the ftp site, even if i use the local ip address. would it matter what operating system im using and what file system?
My server is XP pro(ntfs) and my network computers are running fat32 winME and 98SE.

It really shouldn't matter as far as file systems go, or operating systems. If your friends outside your network can access it, you should be able to access it in your LAN also. Thats wierd...

When you say you cant see it, do you mean via a browser, or through an FTP client. Some browsers won't let you access FTP unless you have anonymous access enabled. But with a username and password, the in-LAN computers should be able to see it with any client (such as smartftp).

I'm just not too sure what the problem is... This will probably not make a difference, but try opening port 21 and see what happens...

Ok, now that i got this working i have a quick question.

How many extra services does this produce total? I have like an extra 7 things boot with windows now, 3 new services in msconfig, and 3 programs....this is normal?

Extra services... apache, mysql, no-ip (or duc20.exe), and serv-u ftp server... Those should be the only extra services installed, to my knowledge, and all of them should be running as services too, if possible.

Which other ones are new?

i've got mysqld.exe, 2 x apache.exe (why i dunno), servuadmin.exe, servudaemon.exe, servutray.exe (cause i have that up atm.

This may be a stupid question, but how much bandwidth can be used if you set up an Apache server? Does it depend on your ISP, or is it just unlimited? Thanks.

Whatever your ISP supplies you with is what you can spit out to visitors. I'm only on a 2.0Mb down, 300Kb up connection, so based on that limit, visitors can only download at a maximum of 300kb/s. I've never been out of my network to test the speed, so I'm not positive on what my server can pump out yet.

Ok, so i go to the little "http://192.168.1.1" for my linksys router, go into the port forwarding section, and it asks a range for forwarding, the ip, protocol, ect... i enter in 80 (cox.net ISP). Now what am i missing here?

Back