• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Guide to Setting up Your Own Apache Server on Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok im haveing some problems...
i have satellite connection and i am behind a router (D-Link Di-604) i have the "virtual server" setup on the router to the ip of the computer running apache...i even have that ip in the DMZ and outside people can not see my website....i even plugged directly into the modem (direct way DW6000) and it still does not work...anyone know what might be going on here?

Your ISP could be blocking port 80 try to set it up on a different port. You also do not want to use DMZ just forward the port you need to the computer running Apache.

why doesnt he want to use dmz mode? isnt this just much simpler for a single home pc behind a router, as the packet headers are simply all rewritten by NAT to add your external ip therefore making it pretty much no different than a computer with a adsl/cable etc modem directly plugged into it. Just use a software firewall (as you do).

have you actually typed in the correct address? for example:

http://myno-ip.com/work/index.htm

ok removed from dmz..changed teh port to 75...not sure if anything uses 75 but not sure what to set it to...but now i get "The document contains no data" when i go to it

You dont use DMZ because any computer in the DMZ isnt protected by ANY sort of firewall at all. Gaining access to a webserver in a DMZ is like taking candy from a baby.

Awsome guide!

I have everything setup, but i cant access it via my ip, it goes to the router. So i forward the port 80 to my ip, same thing. Now noting the url as im messing with settings in the router, i think my belkin router uses port 80 for itsself.

Using comcast with a belkin router.

i dont understand that rod. having the router in dmz mode fully exposes that computer to the net, in fact exactly the same as having one computer directly hooked up to a normal adsl modem.

to my understanding NAT just takes the ip headers and rewrites them with your external ip address instead of your internal one (which is why you need port forwarding, to allow incoming connections).

so presuming you have a software firewall to hand, and you mainly use just one pc in the house for applications that need incoming connections then wouldnt this be security-wise no different but just a lot easier?

im asking this cos its exactly what im doing and i make sense to myself, but there are people who know more.

ps rod when you are setting port forwarding for tcp port 80, where it asks usually:

name of service: webhost
tcp port: 80
INTERNAL ip of the computer hosting the service: (mines 192.168.0.2)(if you dont know it goto command prompt and type ipconfig)

then when you connect to the site remotely use your external (isp given) address (find that out from www.whatismyip.com)

im taking a guess you already know this, and i realise belkin dont make the best of routers, but it may help you

yea k9 thats what im doing.

" having the router in dmz mode fully exposes that computer to the net"

Exactly, so what is not to understand? When a computer is in the DMZ its unprotected. Sure, you can use a software firewall, but most of them arent too good. They're ok for the common user, but not when you have server applications running.

update, people CAN access me, but i cant without using the localhoast addy, that normal?

phpmyadmin

Ok, I'm trying to secure phpmyadmin the " ghetto" way and I'm missing something. I typed in everything its said,replaceing phpmyadmin where it says forbidden right? All I'm getting is..the system can not cannot find the path specified. I know its something stupid/easy..what am I missing?

Ok, new problem :bang head . I can not access phpmyadmin. When I type my user name and password i entered, it doesn't accept it. I know its the right user name and password,even tried reinstalling everything to start over..did the same thing

With some browsers, if you secured it the way I showed here, it may take 2 or 3 times to put in a password. phpMyAdmin uses frames, and when each page is requested, the server asks for a password for all the pages. It takes some getting used to.

be careful if you have cox as your isp, their acceptable use policy prohibts any thing resmebleing a server, just a FYI there

JamminPotato said:
be careful if you have cox as your isp, their acceptable use policy prohibts any thing resmebleing a server, just a FYI there

Been running mine for about 6 months, no problems. Of course i use mine for personal use only, i don't upload enough from the server for them to even notice. Although now that i just upgraded to 768kbps up.....hmmm :D

JamminPotato said:

Same with verizon DSL. Comcast and WOW are pretty cool about it- but they just don't want you running businesses off your server- but personal use is cool (which is what most people here would use their own server for).

diggingforgold said:
Same with verizon DSL. Comcast and WOW are pretty cool about it- but they just don't want you running businesses off your server- but personal use is cool (which is what most people here would use their own server for).

BTW, same with Adelphia :(. Boo Adelphia!!! :bang head

Back