• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PHP question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FattyMcNastyXK

Bambam's soldier
I'm helping out a friend on his site. He wanted pseudo directories. He told me what they were. instead of "index.php?id=39&p=funstuff" they're "index.php/id/39/p/funstuff" He said that it helps the search engines find your site. I have no clue how i will accomplish this. There is barely anything about this. Help!

I'm pretty sure its apache you want to be working with

Apache modes? I wanted to do something like this a while back and it was definatly apache but I don't recall what,

I'll look around after work

He has to put the fake slashes after a '?' in the url if he wants php to see it without Apache having been modified in some way.

What he said about search engines sounds bogus.

1) The only engine that matters is google
2) Thats not how google finds you

ya, it was apache that was giving me the error. I am trying it now on a real web server and there's no error but i have no value for my variable. http://www.eboycott.org Its not complete of course but when you try to click a category it takes you to another page that lists the sub categories The variable is $cat. I've tried it without this pseudo stuff and it works.

this is what he says, "It is not bogus. It is a proven fact that spiders, ESPECIALLY GOOGLE SPIDERS, do not like the php mumbo jumbo at the end of a url. They will caché them, however, not as easily and as efficiently as psuedo directories. For example:

NerdHelp.com before psuedo directories: 40% of uniques from search engines
NerdHelp.com after psuedo directories: Over 90% of uniques from search engines."

Back