• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC P-3 700MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert

700 to 903MHz - 1.65v Run real nice :)
933MHz - 1.65v to 1.95v not stable in game :(

What is going on? Just only 33MHz increasing.
I tried different memory , graphic card, HDs, and bios setting.

Abit BX6r2
MSI 6905 v2.3
CoolerMaster 6H51
Micron 256MB SDRAM
Geforce2 Ultra
Sound Blaster Live MP3+
Creative 5x DVD drive
Plexter 16x10x40x
Matrox HD 7200rpm
case power 250w
EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card

Can you run prime95 or seti for 3/4 of an hour at 933?
What temp is your cpu running at 933?
Pci bus at 1/4?

Placid (May 29, 2001 12:22 a.m.):
Can you run prime95 or seti for 3/4 of an hour at 933?
What temp is your cpu running at 933?
Pci bus at 1/4?

No I can't.
The temp is 37c
Pci at 1/4

Sounds like your cpu isnt a good overclocker.
37c is pretty warm for that cpu thou, maybe try to get it cooler.
Is that 39c under load or just idle?
If its idle then its really warm for that cpu.

Robert, if you can run 900 @ 1.65 volts then it's probably not the CPU holding you back. I'd be suspicious of that Ethernet card, they don't always like to be overclocked too far out of spec. Another thing to think about is what speed RAM are you using? PC-100 memory might not cut it. Maybe try more case cooling and northbridge chip cooling.

batboy,

The bx6 R2 has 133 fsb with a 1/4 divider, so I believe he would have the PCI right on spec at 133 fsb, so that should cause no problems for anything but the memory and the agp.

Perhaps Robert should try setting the latency to 3, 3, 3 and see if that helps the 133 fsb stability. If so, look for some good pc133 Cas2 memory.

If not, it might be extra cooling or live with it. I would bet that if he lowered that load temp to under 30, it would stabilize, but you can't get under ambient temperature with fans or water alone.

I don't know that it is significant, Robert, what is your RT1 (system) temp?

anvil

Hi
I'm sorry. I have Micron PC-133 256MB SDRAM CL2 now. I tried the latency to 3, 3, 3 already.
my system run at 39c when i use 903MHz. If I go for 933MHz the temp will stay at 41-43c. Is that a problem? How to cool it down?

I used to run c566@850MHz the temp on RT1 is about 42-43c too.

thanks

Robert (May 29, 2001 12:07 p.m.):
How to cool it down?

Start by trying to remove the sides on the case, and see if that helps. What cooling do you have on the cpu? You will need better cooling than the stock intel hsf combo supplied with the cpu. Look into Alphas or Global Win - do yourself a favor, and stay away from the golden orb. You ARE using thermal grease, right? (Only a paper-thin layer)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, what stepping is your CPU?
(Stepping = version. There is a number (S-spec) directly on the CPU. Mine says 'SL45Y', and I go to this table http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm to see that mine is cB0. What is your called? cC0 is best, cB0 is ok, and cA2 sucks)

I have my 'cB0' P3-700 doing 1050MHz this instant, instead of the 966 I've been on for a while. Shows how great the Alpha PEP66 performs, imho.

If the Robert's CPU default voltage is 1.65Vcore, then his might be cB0.. but yah.. like what Allan Nielson said, find out what stepping.. :)

if you have more than 1 stick of ram in there... try just 1... this helped my oc my p3 700 from 910 to currently 945...

i took out 1 stick of 128 mushkin rev 2.... at close to default voltage

I have one of these running fine on a friend's PC with an intel stock HSF 1.90v at 933mhz.

I never bothered with the stepping because it overclocked so well. I burned this in for 16 hours and would not run stable below 1.90v without the burn-in.

These processors are real picky, I think you have reached your max without additional cooling being taken into consideration... the above was probably a cC0 step, only one of these chips could do so well with no additional cooling.

My CPU s-code: SL3XX cB0
Version: A44328-001 Date: 01/11/2001

CoolerMaster 6H51 (a heatsink w/ fan)

Robert (May 29, 2001 02:01 p.m.):
My CPU s-code: SL3XX cB0
Version: A44328-001 Date: 01/11/2001

CoolerMaster 6H51 (a heatsink w/ fan)

Oops! Coolermaster is subpar at best for serious cooling, and the cB0 is going to hold you back (unsure of the SL3XX meaning), but your stepping is very tough to OC. Not impossible, but requires an extra investment in cooling aparatus that will almost offset the cost of buying a 933 P3.

Robert,

Try the case side removal and just set up a common house fan blowing on the cpu. If it brings the temp down a few degrees and you still aren't getting there with stability, then you might start thinking about an expensive low temp solution or new chip.

anvil

I still think Robert has a good CPU if he can run 900 at 1.65v, that's pretty good. Also, there is nothing wrong with the P-III 700 cB0 stepping. True, the cC0 stepping (on the average) will overclock a little better. BUT, after he posted temps and type of CPU cooler, I am now convinced it's a heat related problem. Did you use a good quality thermal paste when installing the heatsink?

No, I don't have thermal paste. i use just the heatsink compounds

What is System Temp RT1 means?
It means CPU temp or Motherboard temp

Back