• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the bloody ell is causing this weird flicker'in??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vito

Ok here's the deal.....Need a CRT expert here.
We moved to a new office across town....set up puters the same way....no new hardware or anything just unplugged and plugged back in. Building is 2 years old --concrete tilt up panels constructed.
Now the monitors in the 3 offices all have screen flickers or jiggly screens. Its very noticeable....not huge jiggling but small..like its a tiny earthquake. Monitors are all CRTs...and yes, the refresh rate is set to 75hz.
I called in our electrician to check out all the wiring in the building.....everythings OK...no anomelies. No power lines overhead on exterior causing problems either.
So what hell is going here?
Anyone see this before?

sounds like they might need degauzing, CRT's need this sometimes when they are moved from building to building. You will find it in the menu's of the actual monitor.

monitors are 20 feet apart in different offices
Degaused them too.

This can be caused ALSO by the monitors being to close to either the PC case OR your multimedia speakers. As stated ANY magnetic field can effect this. Its also possible the video card has a refresh rate override. I had a monitor flickering and no matter the refresh rate change it didnt help. . I discovered a setting in the Display settings, Advanced and then Monitors. If the computer sees the monitors incorrectly tehy will be locked at 60Hz. Lastly. Are these plugged directly into the wall or into a UPS system. Some UPS systems mess with the refresh frequencies of some monitors. Are these all the same type of monitor?

Z

First, try checking the things people above have mentioned...

As a field service tech I have seen all sorts of this sort of thing. Anything with a motor, like fans, refrigeration units, etc., some UPS models (although you used the same ones at old office so not likely), some cell phone activities, power fluctuations, proximity to lighting dimmer switches (if you don't believe this one, grab your cordless phone and go stand with it near a dimmer switch and listen to the interference as you dim and brighten the lights). Also, just strangeness of a site can do things. A coworker of mine was at a site where they had about 40 machines all doing a very similar thing. They tried troubleshooting everything and couldn't come up with an answer, so one day they came back with the owners and shut down every single thing in the place except for the circuit that the computers were on, and the problem was still happening. So, they used some sort of device made for tracking EMI and walked around the building until they finally came to a point in the basement where there were two steel beams that came together, and whenever they got close to that thing, the meter would peg out full. Only thing they could come up with at that time is that somehow that was acting as an antenna in some way that caused the issue. Stranger things have happened.

Anyhow, you can try grabbing a really long extension cord and running it out into the parking lot or lawn or whatever of the place you are now at, and bring the PC and monitor out there and try it outside. See if the flickering and other stuff still happens. If not, but it does again when you get back inside, I would have to say there is some sort of wierd EMI happening in your office. That can be hard to pinpoint and even harder (or impossible sometimes) to fix. Good luck!

Thanks Aktunka
You obviously know your stuff.
I do believe its something in the building's architecture.
the building is a slab an grade office/shop with concrete pre-cast wall panels. Main sub-structure is steel columns, beams, girts.
Office is framed out with steel studs and drywall. Ceiling does have a mezanine above which was fraemd out with heavy guage steel joists and plywood decking.
Oh well.
I think Ill try a LCD.....if only those 21"s would come down.

Have you tried other refresh rates than 75Hz?

If you still can't find it I guess you'll have to go to LCD (I'm sure you wouldn't regret it though).

When I do set to 60hz refresh rates the sheky stops.
Although 60hz sucks to look at.....Dont need headaches from eye strain.

MAGNETIC FIELD (even an ionic brease or like a dry-erase markerboard can cause it)

Or

The 75 herts refresh is unstable and the monitor cant handle it?

Back