• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

celeron ram question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dilosolid

Registered
i have a celeron500 mhz 66mhz bus
but my ram are pc100 my ram are running at 100mhz or a 66mhz????

dilosolid (Jun 05, 2001 11:08 a.m.):

The RAM spec is the max it can handle (at least "factory tested settings")... but the bus on the CPU determines that actual speed it's operating at, in this case 66mhz.

BTW--don't bother overclocking that CPU, you won't get far. It's a solid CPU as is, I had one and it served me well, but it's not overclock friendly.

dilosolid (Jun 05, 2001 11:25 a.m.):
how far can you think i can get with a golden orb?
celeron500

Try increasing your bus to 75mhz, maybe (MAYBE) 83 -- just watch your temps. Usually, the CPU just stops booting once it doesn't like the speed, so don't worry too much; just don't fry it either.

Likely not to reach 100 fsb, that's next to impossible and unlikely with the orb cooler.

what you think is better to use the c500 or a p3 450 but i dont what is the prob with the p3 i push the cpu hard into the slot1 but dont boot i have to move the cpu to get it to boot why is that?

dilosolid (Jun 05, 2001 11:47 a.m.):
what you think is better to use the c500 or a p3 450 but i dont what is the prob with the p3 i push the cpu hard into the slot1 but dont boot i have to move the cpu to get it to boot why is that?

Well, the celeron at least works, but has much less L2 cache, which for more complicated programs such as games, won't outperform the P3 450. I personally like the P3 line, so I'd try to figure out if the slot on the mobo is dirty, dirt on the card connection to the slot, or is there a fracture or loose soldering joint someplace... it may be a bit much to figure out if you're like me and lack the know-how to solder/troubleshoot with a multitester. I'd say stick with the celeron 500 for now, and look into buying a more friendly overclocking celeron (like the 667 with the coppermine core and 10x multiplier=1 GHZ!!) down the road -- assuming, of course, your motherboard is compatible with newer coppermine chips... you may want to create a signature in your profile (like I have) with your specs so we can be more specific in helping you.

I have dual celeron 500's running at 600 on a BP6 using Alpha pal 6035's. By themselves they will go a little higher but that is about the limit for the core unless you super cool. The celerons do quite well compared to the older P3's. There is a trade off and it comes out close. The P3 has a bigger cache but it is only running at 1/2 speed compared to the celerons at full speed. The biggest difference is the inclusion of SSE in the P3 and this does affect gameing.

ken257 (Jun 05, 2001 05:31 p.m.):
I have dual celeron 500's running at 600 on a BP6 using Alpha pal 6035's. By themselves they will go a little higher but that is about the limit for the core unless you super cool. The celerons do quite well compared to the older P3's. There is a trade off and it comes out close. The P3 has a bigger cache but it is only running at 1/2 speed compared to the celerons at full speed. The biggest difference is the inclusion of SSE in the P3 and this does affect gameing.

Good points, Ken...totally agree.

I know the rule of thumb with the Coppermine chips (C II and P///) is a Celeron is equivalant (roughly) to a P/// running about 200 MHz slower (L2 and higher bus speed being the equalizers there.

That early P/// and PPGA Celeron is a different animal altogether, though. I'd still be inclined to say, IF you can get the P/// to work, running at about 600, it would be much better than a C500 running at 83 FSB, causing all kinds of grief with a PCI bus a 41+ MHz.

If the slocket works fine, but the slot 1 P/// doesn't, one would think that the functioning slocket would rule out problems with the motherboards slot connector. I'd look closely at the two rows of contacts on each side of the P///'s board. Might have a bad terminal...only takes one out of 262.

Mr B

dilosolid (Jun 05, 2001 11:08 a.m.):

I believe you are asing if your RAM is running at the 66 MHz spped that the Celeron is at, or if it is running at 100FSB (PC100).

The RAM you have is "rated" to 100 FSB, will likely go a bit faster than that, but will always run at whatever the motherboard's bus speed is set at. If you are runnning the Celeron at default speed, (ie 66 MHz/500 MHz), you RAM is running at 66 MHz.

Is this the answer you were looking for??

Cheers!!

Mr B

Back