• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 633 - what voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smoko

Hi all, I just picked up a celeron 633 to replace my ageing 266@448. I'm running it on an asus p2b with a Gigabyte slotket and a globalwin wbk38. Right now its running at 950mhz and runs the cpu stability test without problems (I've tested for 8hours at most so far) but it requires 2.1v to do this. 980mhz isn't stable at that voltage. So, should I try for a higher voltage or am I already as high as i should go?
Also, how to I determine what stepping my cpu is? Its a malaysian SL4NY.

I wouldn't go much higher than 2.20v with that chip, I run my older celerons at 2.20v but they run +14C under full load (very hot)... hope you have good cooling.

Check the cpu database off the homepage to compare your results with others with the same chip, it's very helpful and should answer your stepping question.

2.1 is the highest, mine is at 2 but i will never go above 2.05, get the voltage down before overclocking higher

I'm currently running my cBo stepping Celly II 633 at 950, at 1.75v on an Abit BF6 and an Asus slocket. Works fine - I'd try to 'burn it in' at the higher voltage at default speed before trying to clock it much higher - it isn't liable to last too long above 1.95v. And for God's sake, please have some decent cooling - you're likely to turn your happy little Celery into a lump of charcoal at voltages above 2!!!!

And boy, talk about a jump - a cacheless 266 to an overclocked uberCelly! good choice, man!

The globalwin wbk38 is a pretty decent HSF from what I've heard, its got a 7000rpm fan on a huge heatsink so I'm pretty well covered for cooling. However I'm using the thermal pad that was attached to the heatsink, rather than paste because I currently only have cheap stuff (Unick brand) that probably isn't any better. I'll have to invest in some artic silver at some point soon.
I'm not too worried about shortening the life on the CPU, as long as it lasts 6 months or so that'll be fine. Just breathing a bit of life into my old p2b before I move on to something newer (socket A I guess) :)
What is the deal with "burning in" a cpu, does this have to be done at the standard clock speed? How long should I do this for before going back to 950?

Well, I took of the HSF to swap remove the thermal pad and I noticed that the heatsink wasn't fitted flush with the CPU. One side of the cpu had a thicker layer of thermal pad than the other. I've removed the pad with acetone and am now using heat transfer compound intead, and have actually mounted the hsf around the other way and its flat on the cpu.
And, believe it or not, I'm now at [email protected]. I've yet to do an overnight stability test but it looking good, last time 1.9V was required to just boot win98. Damn I'm glad I decided to get rid of the thermal pad, 2.1V + improper cooling would give a fried CPU in no time I'd imagine :)
I'm definitely going to be extra careful with fitting these things in the future!

Way to get this one on your own!!! Not a lot of people can catch whether or not their HSF is flat on the die - this is about all that a thermal pad is good for - if you have a problem, you can see one part of the pad is worn thinner than the other - this is the only reason I left thermal pads on my FOP-32s - to see if they sit right. If one doesn't , I try to correct it and check it. When it's flat, I can remove the icky piece of chewing-gum looking stuff and replace it with Arctic Silver (good stuff!)

And 1.8 v is perfectly acceptable for this processor.

Usually, burning in is done at default clock speed for 12-36 hours runnin CPU intensive programs about 15% over voltage spec. It helped me run my 633 .1v lower than usual - I didn't beleive it either until I tried it. Good technique.

Back