• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS THERE A MOPTHERBOARD THAT WILL SUPPORT TWO PIII ! GIGS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youARR

Registered
i was thinking of getting another 1 gig PIII to complement my other, i alread have this chip maxed cause the current mobo i got can only do 150 FSB,

is there another board thatll support 2 of these chip and possibly higher fsb than 150?

We have had a quite a few people try and overclock duel 1G CPU's but they really do not overclock well most end up at around 1100 if there lucky! so if your interested in overclocking duel CPU's i'm afraid the news is not good.

What kinds of things are you looking to do that requires duals? For most people I think 1 fast cpu is better. I do have a dual system, Abit BP6 with two 366's at 572. This is my server and I run Linux Mandrake 7.2 on it.

Also it is not as simple as just ordering another 1 gig P3 you need a cpu of the same stepping.

ken257 (Jun 07, 2001 10:14 p.m.):
What kinds of things are you looking to do that requires duals? For most people I think 1 fast cpu is better. I do have a dual system, Abit BP6 with two 366's at 572. This is my server and I run Linux Mandrake 7.2 on it.

Also it is not as simple as just ordering another 1 gig P3 you need a cpu of the same stepping.

From the vp6 website:

There is a myth that in order to run multiple CPU's, they need to be the same stepping and cache size. This is not true. According to Intel, you must have the same family of processor, and that's it. If you clock the processors to the clock speed of the slower CPU, you'll be fine. Mixing cache sizes is also OK by Intel, as long as you're not mixing 1MB or higher cache chips.

If price isn't a consideration, a dual Server mainboard is the ticket. Have a look at the Asus CUR-DLS, Intel STL2 and the Tyan Thunder HEsl (S2567).

None of these boards OC, but they all support 1000Mhz PIIIEB's. Built-in U160 SCSI. How can you go wrong?

Back