• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PIII 500 or Clocked Celeron II 600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
J

JIMBO

I was wondering what exactly would I give up if I changed from a P III to a Celeron II? I would gain speed with a Overclocked Celeron II 600 compaired to my P III 500. But what does my P III, have on the celeron? I'm looking at selling the P III and either buying a Celeron 600 or I hate to say it, Upgrade to a AMD. I have the need for speed......

Hello JIMBO, I've never owned a full blown PIII but am quite happy with my Celeron 600. Here are some Sandra screenshots that may be of interest to you. My 600 is rock steady @972Mhz. I have to run it at 2.0VCore to be 100% stable. I air-cool with a Alpha PAL6035, have a 120mm intake blowhole, a slot cooler and an extra 92mm exhaust out the back. If you go Celly, try for a cC0 stepping. I've seen some cB0 stepping 600s break a gig too! It's a great cpu. I think I could get a gig with water cooling but am happy for now. I just wish I could reduce my voltage.

I have had many Celerons and P3's . When clocked the same Sandra shows about the same speed for both but this is misleading. In the real world take flask for example something that is cpu intensive the P3 does as well as a Celeron about 150mhz faster! Games show a simmilar slowness. The Celeron takes a big hit because of the smaller cache.

When the older Celerons and P2's were out it was a different story. The old P2's and P3's had a cache running at 1/2 speed but the Celerons punny 128k cache ran at full speed so things were just about even......those days are over.

Why not try to OC that P3 500 some?

If you have interest in AMD here are some Sandra benches form one of my systems that you can compare with the Celeron and P4.

Hey JIMBO, I'm not sure if you've read my "Seeking Expertise on the PIII 500 (Katmai), but I'm having the same dilema. I recieved some good advise and I'm probably going to go for a cooling system first before I look for a new CPU. I'm a HUGE gamer, so the dude talking about Cache was right on the money, that 512k make a big difference. If you find a good Cooling System for the Slot1 let me know, I'm having some trouble finding one.

PIII 500, no O/C
Epox P2-133A w/ VIA Apollo Pro+
Matrox Mill. G400 32MB
Phillips Acoustic Edge pcs706

The best hsf going for a slot 1 P/// chip is the Alpha P3125. It's a big son of a gun, and some mb's may have clearance issues, but if it fits your board, it can't be beat!

I'm running a P/// 600E (CuMine), set at 159FSB (954MHz), 1.95v. My load temps never hit 40c, unless the ambiant temp in my computer room goes over about 75F.

Sweet chip, but the hsf makes it possible. My wife and I just got an AC for the window in my PC room...I had it on the other night....got the ambiant down to about 67-68F...my CPU was IDLEING at 18c to 20c.....=)

This is with two YS Tech 60x60x25 27CFM fans. I have one of the Delta 38's (currently on my little used Celeron/PEP66T), and if I ever get another....should be interesting to see how low I can go, air cooled.

Mr B

The cache size, i found, doesn't really make a difference on a nonoverclocked chip. I have a celeron 533 and my friend has a Plll 550.....on everyday use, it seems to mach his chip pretty closely. Now from my celeron 533 to my Plll 600 there is more of a difference (obviosly)

most deaf (Jun 09, 2001 10:49 a.m.):
think bout it, a 900MHz celeron or a 500MHz pentium 3?

Good point, but bear in mind that the C II overclocked is about roughly the equivalent of a P/// running 150 to 200 MHz slower, due to the higher FSB and better L2 of the P///. This particular P/// would still be a bit off of that, though, but is a sufficient chip if cooled well, and should overclock somewhat (but certainly not to 900MHz).

Then you get into the questions of;

Do I get better cooling for the P/// I have, or spend the money for a Celeron II, slocket, and good cooling for that??

You pays your money, and ultimately, you makes your choice. A C II would defintely perform better than the Katmai P///, but is gonna run at or more than $100 for the chip, slocket, and the good cooling you'll want to overclock it properly.

What software are you trying to run....do you NEED 900+ MHz?? Something else to factor into the equation, as well.

Consider all the variables. Think, and read twice, before spending once. That's precisely where I sit right now. Supercooling for my P///, or put the $$ towards and AXIA??..... Decisions, decisions....so many options.

Mr B

Mr B (Jun 09, 2001 11:11 a.m.):

What software are you trying to run....do you NEED 900+ MHz?? Something else to factor into the equation, as well.

Mr B

That's why i mentioned "everyday use" that's like going on the internet, using a couple of programs, a coouple of games stuff that a 15 year old does :D , using win 98 second editon

Mr B (Jun 09, 2001 11:13 a.m.):
cdadare IM'ed me looking for a link to buying a P3125...this is the only one I had....

If anyone knows of another vendor that sells the P3125 cheaper, please speak up....

Mr B
Mr B, I followed the link to look at that P3125 slot 1 HSF. I think when reccommending that cooling solution you should warn people to factor in the cost of rentng a crane to lift that big mofo. :D

I have been debating whether to get an intel or amd and if you want to save a whole lot of money I think you should go with an AMD Duron. You will get alot of bang for your buck or you could get a T-bird which will give you an enormous amount of speed for the price (they are very overclockable as I understand). You can't really go wrong. Plus since memory is so cheap you could upgrade to some DDR memory, which is, increasingly, becoming more of a presence in the memory market. This is what I think I have decided I will do. I think it's time for a change and with these AMD procs being so cheap I see no reason why not to switch. But that's me. Good luck on you decision. If you are not strapped for cash go with intel

Mr B (Jun 09, 2001 11:11 a.m.):
most deaf (Jun 09, 2001 10:49 a.m.):
think bout it, a 900MHz celeron or a 500MHz pentium 3?

Good point, but bear in mind that the C II overclocked is about roughly the equivalent of a P/// running 150 to 200 MHz slower, due to the higher FSB and better L2 of the P///. This particular P/// would still be a bit off of that, though, but is a sufficient chip if cooled well, and should overclock somewhat (but certainly not to 900MHz).

Then you get into the questions of;

Do I get better cooling for the P/// I have, or spend the money for a Celeron II, slocket, and good cooling for that??

You pays your money, and ultimately, you makes your choice. A C II would defintely perform better than the Katmai P///, but is gonna run at or more than $100 for the chip, slocket, and the good cooling you'll want to overclock it properly.

Consider all the variables. Think, and read twice, before spending once. That's precisely where I sit right now. Supercooling for my P///, or put the $$ towards and AXIA??..... Decisions, decisions....so many options.

Mr B

AXIA is the code for the good athlons right?

Back