• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new PIII 1 Ghz in my hands...........Now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froggy1

Registered
As the topic states I just got my new CPU and I have a few Qs.
First off I am listing all of the CPU info. Could someone decipher this info please.
Second off this is only my second CPU, my first being a Celly I have now. Do I need to do anything special to "break-in" a new chip? I know about changing the BIOS stuff and Core Voltage.
Now for the specs.
1000/256/133/1.7V
Q113A381-0309 SL4MF

I am assuming this is a cCo stepping but please let me know fellow geeks :)

Yes its cCO stepping.
If its not a retail (3yr warranty) I would let it run for a day or 2 at stock settings before messing with it.
Actually with that id number it should be a retail.

Sounds like a good ole 133\1gig to me, you can download Cpuid and also find out what stepping and family it is also some people will put where the CPU was made mine was Costa Rico.

you can burn it in when burning in keep your FSB at 133 but run your CV at 1.9 as long as you can keep it cool if you cant keep it cool then dont raise your CV until you can. while your burning it in you can run Seti this will work the CPU quite well and many overclockers use this method.

Yes it is a Retail CPU and it is made in Malay. Forgot that stuff :) Umm at the moment I don't plan on OCing it. Should I run the high core voltage anyhow? And if so why? This will be a big enough boost over my current CPU set-up.

Froggy (Jun 09, 2001 03:15 a.m.):
Yes it is a Retail CPU and it is made in Malay. Forgot that stuff :) Umm at the moment I don't plan on OCing it. Should I run the high core voltage anyhow? And if so why? This will be a big enough boost over my current CPU set-up.

If your not going to overclock it then there is no need to burn it in so you can leave your CV at default settings, its a shame though if your MB will let you have more then 150FSB then you would have no problem getting 1200MHZ out of her as long as you had good memory and BIOS optimized as well as a few cooling mods.

goodluck

outhouse (Jun 09, 2001 02:14 p.m.):

If your not going to overclock it then there is no need to burn it in so you can leave your CV at default settings, its a shame though if your MB will let you have more then 150FSB then you would have no problem getting 1200MHZ out of her as long as you had good memory and BIOS optimized as well as a few cooling mods.

goodluck

Let me enjoy stock and we will see if I stay that way :)

Froggy (Jun 09, 2001 05:17 p.m.):
Let me enjoy stock and we will see if I stay that way :)

Is that even possible? :)

I think the only chip I have ever left at stock was my PII 300. Hell bought my PIII 600E I ran it at 822 straight out of the box. I dont think that chip ever ran at 600mhz. Same goes with my 800E The slowest it's ever ran for any real amount of time is 920mhz!

I cant keep things at spec. I'm addicted to tweaking!

Hey LutaWicasa!

Not with that bx6 R2, you won't. It only goes to 153 fsb, which is 1147.5 mhz I believe, ... not that I wouldn't love to see my 750 climb that high! But not into the 1200+ zone that some folks get with the 1 gig.

We need a better bios or board, I fear.

anvil

You guys need to attend OA (Overclockers Anonymous) meetings. All I want outta my PC is 99 FPS in CS. And LutaWicasa, I would miss my L2 cache too much :)

you won't be overclocking it much, the P///s don't clock too much higher than that. I would say make sure your bios supports it, flash it if needed(and this means using a program file, not walking up to your computer and....oh i'll stop before someone shoots me) and install it making sure you have that heatsink on there correctly. I would probably go out and get a Fop32-1 or PAL6035 hsf for that CPU, just to be safe and protect it from overheating. If you can, get rid of the tape and use some goop such as the stuff you get at the shack, which is excellent for $1.99. The plug it in and enjoy!

William (Jun 11, 2001 04:22 a.m.):

you won't be overclocking it much, the P///s don't clock too much higher than that. I would say make sure your bios supports it, flash it if needed(and this means using a program file, not walking up to your computer and....oh i'll stop before someone shoots me) and install it making sure you have that heatsink on there correctly. I would probably go out and get a Fop32-1 or PAL6035 hsf for that CPU, just to be safe and protect it from overheating. If you can, get rid of the tape and use some goop such as the stuff you get at the shack, which is excellent for $1.99. The plug it in and enjoy!

Umm my Swiftech MC-370 and AS2 isn't good enough?????????? LOL :)

Good point Froggy We do need to read the stats a little better when giving advise and i'm guilty of it too, i just noticed your MB and ive had one of those before the vh6-2 and with all of your quality parts you will have no trouble running at 150FSB which is all your MB will let you go, it will run stable, cool and perform quite nicely with a mild overclock and at 150 your pci will not be that far out of spec's. I ran my VH6 maxed out at 150 rockstable and cool but i wanted more FSB thats why i went to the VH6-2.

Allthough with your signature it does show another CPU and some people will think this is another PC alltogether so we are only a little guilty of missreading your post.

goodluck

Back