• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm a chip murderer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slake

I wasn't satisfied with the small temp decrease from the Alpha PAL6035 I got a week ago, so I took it back so I can order the Millennium Glaciator. Before putting my old Step Thermodynamics HSF back on I decided to lap it on a cutting board over the kitchen sink with water running over it during the process. This worked beautifully and I shoulda' stopped there. BUT NO-OOOOOO!!! Mr. Know-it-all Super Lapper had to go and lap the die just a wee little bit. I got no beep at all and no video when I powered up. I checked the vid card, memory power connections and re-installed the chip again. Upon close examination of the die with a magnifying glass, I found a small crack or tear on one edge of the core. Either it happened when exerting pressure to embed the pins into the dense foam I used to hold the chip or , more likely during the lapping process itself it came in contact with a small piece of aluminum which was not washed away by the flow of water. How many times have I readDON'T lap the chip!? Just a couple of days ago I advised a member not to do it.

A moment of silence for a good chip, cut down in it's prime by an over zealous OCer lusting for a gig. :'(

I think I killed another duron last night...

This just doesnt impress me really. I mean, in my house. If you don't kill a chip every month they call the doctor. :p

(Sorry to hear the death.,..)

how did you kill the duron?

I'm picking up a cheap duron to play with while I learn the rules of the game.

Did you up the voltage to high??

sorry to hear about the loss in the family.

it seems that if people are going to lapp there chips there going to have to be very very carefull hope you have better luck on your next one.

LOL guys. Thanks for coming to the wake.
Oc]acaridans always the optimist ! Way to find the silver lining.
Now I get to pick the next victim.hmmm Maybe a Celeron 800. I understand from a couple of posts and the CPU database they OC pretty well.
Now I have to wait in line to use my 8 year old's computer. :(
I just hope this doesn't become a habit!

Yarr I know how you feel, welcome to the club. The membership isn't terribly exclusive, just short at least one processor. When in doubt, buy the Retail Boxed version. The dead can be brought back to life. Helps to rehearse before calling the RMA department. 'M I bad?

Guilty, your Lordship.

I feel your pain.
I just killed my today at 1:00am. I was trying to clean the pins and I must have gotten it too wet and its dead. Now I have to chuck out a hundred bucks or so for a P3 700 or a Celly 800. Maybe it is for the better, now I have an excuse to get a new CPU.
I also did the same thing to my first celly 600. Lapped it, got a crack on the side, and it never worked again.

[Oc]acaridans got it right. Your just a key chain maker. Too bad it cost $100 I have lots of old ram chips and dead cpu's dangling from my school back pack. College is cool, self expression is free, and nothing says computer nerd better than a back pack with computer parts hanging all over it. Sorry for your loss. We all learn the hard way. :(

YOU BASTARD YOU KILLED CELLY!!!!

I am truly sorry for your loss but think of it as an excuse to upgrade.

Back