• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! i just shocked the sh*t out of my...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

i just shocked myself trying to take my monitor apart to paint it. i can't feel my left arm. should i go to the hospital, been about an 5 min now.

does it still have no feeling in it at 10 past the hour if so you might want to consider it

I would suggest the action of attending hospital as a precaution, capacitors can hold vast amounts of energy

NcBaller1985 said:
i just shocked myself trying to take my monitor apart to paint it. i can't feel my left arm. should i go to the hospital, been about an 5 min now.

not a doctor

i woudnt worry that much about it

i shocked my hand with a camera flash once and i coudlnt feel it all day

i think if the monitor gave you its full brunt we woudlnt be having this converstation

just make sure your with people all day
so if anything does happen they can take you to the doctor

Not to worry you, but heart arrythmia can take hours to be noticed. I'd see a doctor......

ok....still no feeling....burnt th crap out of it. going to the hospital now. should be fun getting there, i drive a stick. wish me luck.

yea what are you doing jibber jabbering with us for 26 min

i would get some to drive you

Check your pulse every 5 minutes. Time 12 seconds, and count your beats, times that by 5. If it drops under 50 or goes over 250, head to a hospital right away. Do something midly physical, but not exhausting for these numbers to be correct. Also, if its constant you shouldnt have anything to worry about. but if it jumps up and down quickly, go to a hospital

I cant believe that kid sat here talking on a forum about it.

The caps for those cathode ray guns can kill you easily.

Crazy kids...

He should consider himself lucky. Sounds like the monitor caps just gave him a "bite" just to let him know he touching someting that wasn't meant to be touched. Keep us updated and good luck:)

Hell yeah. Let us know how youre doing, thats a serious shock, as bad or worse than sticking your finger in a socket.

Hell yeah. Let us know how youre doing, thats a serious shock, as bad or worse than sticking your finger in a socket.

I would have to say much worse. Caps in monitors can hold upwards of 25,000 volts as well as 10-50 amps in a sudden discharge. A house hold socket is only rated at 120 volts 25 amps (rated)

Reguardless, it isn't the volts that can kill you, its the amps. It only takes .5 amps to kill you. Doesn't matter what the voltage is.

Oh I whole heartedly agree. I know what they can do, Ive used much larger cathode guns in quantum labs (EE here), smallest PSU Ive used to power those was a 22,000 volt high current, racked power supply. Were talking a rack psu that takes up roughly 5U rack.

The monitors arent on the same level, but they use supercaps to provide the potentials and current draws they need.

Montors also have power dissapative circuits, so its good to leave the monitor unplugged for a log time before reaching in.

ashenfang said:
I would have to say much worse. Caps in monitors can hold upwards of 25,000 volts as well as 10-50 amps in a sudden discharge. A house hold socket is only rated at 120 volts 25 amps (rated)

Reguardless, it isn't the volts that can kill you, its the amps. It only takes .5 amps to kill you. Doesn't matter what the voltage is.

20,000V to 50,000V is the operating voltage of most stun guns though. At those voltages, most of the current goes along your skin, causing little permanent damage. But regardless of that, giving yourself a 20KV shock is generally not a good thing.

I think were beating the idea that anything to excess is too much. Dont mess with high voltage or high amperage or both,

and dont lick car batteries...

Check your pulse every 5 minutes. Time 12 seconds, and count your beats, times that by 5. If it drops under 50 or goes over 250, head to a hospital right away. Do something midly physical, but not exhausting for these numbers to be correct. Also, if its constant you shouldnt have anything to worry about. but if it jumps up and down quickly, go to a hospital
umn if your pulse goes over 192 for an extended amount of time you are in big trouble .
if your pulse exceeds 135 after you have calmed down take a tylenol and head to the hospital . also slowly drink room temperature water , not a lot but a glass or 2 .
if your skin starts to turn greyish and clammy but your heart rate is slow get to a hospital immediately.
arythmia is a serious problem that can be fixed in early stages and deadly if it continues . btw im a retired 18Delta

Back