• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie here, I have some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mphilips

I've been reading over the site and what people have been saying about their success...etc.. with over clocking. I've never done it before, my computer is a
Celeron 466 with 2 fans it came with.

One on the motherboard and one on the powersupply releasing the air out the back of the case.

I'm wondering would I need any extra cooling items
to overclock mine somewhere in the mid 500mhz area?

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Probably not.
You may need a better cpu cooler than the stock one.
Just have to check your temps not overclocked and overclocked.
The cpus can take alot of heat before they burn out.
The cooler it is will often allow for higher overclocking.
Usually what kills a cpu is when you raise the voltage too high.

Welcome to the best forum on the entire web :)
First why don't ya jump over and see how others have fared at the cpu database. Next it would be easier to give some advice if we knew a bit about your system( motherboard, ram etc.)

besides asking questions in the forum i highly recomend reading through the tips section there is allot of important info that will really help you allot.

goodluck

outhouse is right......read..read...read. There are many practical experiences on various site like the
"tips" section you'll find here. After a little while some of your experiences will help some of us too.

This is a great place to exchange ideas.

First, find out what board you have (brand, model, chipset)... I can't tell from those pictures.

The next step would definitely be to get a feel for the temps your computer is running at. Download Motherboard Monitor (MBM)... as long as there is a thermistor on your board (should be one), MBM will find it and display it for you. I think you can get it at tweakfiles.com.

Next, I don't know much about your particular chip, but if I'm looking at the right chip of the OC chip database, average overclock is 572mhz... but that is probably with good cooling, which you don't have right now. If you're looking for ~550mhz, thats about 18% over spec, a medium overclock... low being 10%, high being 35-40% or more. Read you motherboard manual to ensure you can make fsb(front side bus) speed and voltage adjustments on your board.

Once you figure out what kind of temps you have, you will know what steps must be taken to ensure its cool enough (better chip cooling, better case temps), if its not cool enough now. Like the other guys said, read all the beginner guides first.

The main things that will stop you from OCing are: limits of you chip, temps, and quality of components (board, ram, HD, etc.).

Back