• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much time burning in my cpu??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dilosolid

Registered
how much time do i have to put my cpu in burning in to be more stable in higher FBS??
how many hours?

No one can tell you that
As we dont even really know if burning in works
So people live by it,, while others, well, doesnt help them at all.

So the only way to find out how long it takes your CPU to "burn in" is try and find out. then if all goes well (or even if it doesnt) post your results and share the knowledge you have gained with the rest of us

average about 2 days to 2 weeks and a few have gone 2 months, if you do not get higher FSB settings you may get to lower your CV resulting in lower temps. All CPU's are different and will give different results. looking at your overclock if that is all your going to do you may not see any results if your just clocked down to burn in then you may have luck.

I think burning in does work i have seen it work for me and i would have to say more then 80% of people here have had luck and will continue to burn in ther CPU's.

I used my PIII 550E faithfully for 1 year at 1.6V at 100 MHz (its a cA2 chip) and now its running at 1.5V and 133 MHz . That was not trully a burning so....

Currently burning it at 1.7V so I can reach 140MHz.....

I have never really had much luck with burning in with one exeption a C566. This cpu ran at 935 out of the box after about a month of use at that speed I was able to go to 970. A couple more months and it hit 1020. Been running at that speed now for around 6 months. There was no "burn in" app ever run on it, just normal use at those speeds.

For the most part I think many of the 2 day or short term burnin successes are from the fact that the thermal grease needs some heat to "set itself" before it works at it's optimum level. I have seen this countless times especially with AS grease, always a slight temp drop after a day or 2 which could account for increased speed in some cases.

I second maestro.

I didn't burn the CPU, I just used it. Played a lot of DII, Starcraft, and other stuff. Now, the PC is running 24/7 with SETI and normal usage.....soooo..... use you computer.

BTW, join SETI@home team. That way you'll be using those CPU FLOPS, and increse the performance of your rig.

dilosolid (Jun 10, 2001 05:29 p.m.):
how much time do i have to put my cpu in burning in to be more stable in higher FBS??
how many hours?

Personally, 16-24 hours with distributed.net software, then run a game or 3dmark to ensure stability.

If you need more you may need to follow some of the prior suggestions and just run the computer for a while at the best/stable speed until it gets some work and opens up more for a better overclock...

I also feel there isn't a real rule of thumb here, my burn in technique is tried and tested which is only why I use it... you will develop your own over time.

Back