• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Newbie - Dual 1GHz P3 & Iwill DVD266

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
N

Nick

Hey all.

Okay, well I'm new to this game. Mainly because I have stuck to Intel motherboards to this point, with no overclocking options..

Let me also stress that reliability is key for me. I don't just want a system that is able to crash *really* fast. I need something reliable, and want something fast.

So, I have just ordered a new Iwill DVD266R motherboard, and have a couple of Intel Retail 1GHz processors to throw in it. I have also ordered a CoolerMaster 201 case (because it's pretty - nothing to do with any cooling properties.) I also have two PC2100 DDR cl2.0 memory modules.

Okay, so probably the first thing that I need to do it to change the Intel cooling fans on these two processors. I really don't know where to start brand wise (recommendations?) but size will be an issue due to the placements of the processors on the Iwill DVD266 motherboard.

Now, I don't really know what my processors are capable of, or what all the numbers on the chip mean.
The numbers on the chip are:
1000/256/133/1.7V - MALAY
L102A459-0831 SL4MF
&
1000/256/133/1.7V - PHILLIPINES
7102A224-0017 SL4MF

I can see that these chips are manufactured in different locations, is this a problem?

I know what the first three numbers are; I am assuming that thre 1.7V indicates the voltage the chip runs at, how does this affect overclocking...

Okay, so I'm asking some pretty basic questions here...

1. What CPU coolers should I use?
2. What should I overclock this to?
3. Do I need to reinstall the OS after changing settings (I'm assuming not, but let's just check.)
4. Do I need to get processors manufactured in the same facility - are there any difference in facilities?

Thank you all for answering some pretty basic questions.

Nick (Jun 11, 2001 01:08 a.m.):
Hey all.

Okay, well I'm new to this game. Mainly because I have stuck to Intel motherboards to this point, with no overclocking options..

Let me also stress that reliability is key for me. I don't just want a system that is able to crash *really* fast. I need something reliable, and want something fast.

So, I have just ordered a new Iwill DVD266R motherboard, and have a couple of Intel Retail 1GHz processors to throw in it. I have also ordered a CoolerMaster 201 case (because it's pretty - nothing to do with any cooling properties.) I also have two PC2100 DDR cl2.0 memory modules.

Okay, so probably the first thing that I need to do it to change the Intel cooling fans on these two processors. I really don't know where to start brand wise (recommendations?) but size will be an issue due to the placements of the processors on the Iwill DVD266 motherboard.

Now, I don't really know what my processors are capable of, or what all the numbers on the chip mean.
The numbers on the chip are:
1000/256/133/1.7V - MALAY
L102A459-0831 SL4MF
&
1000/256/133/1.7V - PHILLIPINES
7102A224-0017 SL4MF

I can see that these chips are manufactured in different locations, is this a problem?

I know what the first three numbers are; I am assuming that thre 1.7V indicates the voltage the chip runs at, how does this affect overclocking...

Okay, so I'm asking some pretty basic questions here...

1. What CPU coolers should I use?
Globalwin cak 38 or alpha 6035 are good coolers.

2. What should I overclock this to?
Its harder to overclock with smp than 1 cpu but just do it the same way raise the fsb 5-10mhz and test until you lose stability.

3. Do I need to reinstall the OS after changing settings (I'm assuming not, but let's just check.)
Settings? If you mean the fsb then no. Unless you corrupt the registry when overclocking.

4. Do I need to get processors manufactured in the same facility - are there any difference in facilities?
Nope they will work fine.
Thank you all for answering some pretty basic questions.

Sorry but the duel 1g p3's do not overclock well around 1100 if your lucky. you may not need to get a better Heatsinkfan HSF if you cant overclock that high you will not be getting them that hot to warrant better HSF's allthough it never hurts to have good cooling. Please read through the tips section and the articles on the front page and give yourself some background information before getting started and you'll end up with a much better PC.

goodluck

1. Don't bother with a copper hsf, no real benefit with a P/// as it produces a lot less heat. Go for an Alpha PAL 6035 with a copper base or a Globalwin Fop32-1.
2. Not going anywhere. You want stable, and you are 130mhz from the core limitation, so any overclocking is going to make your system unstable.
3. What settings? If you mean FSB settings or other bios stuff, no. Make sure you use Win2k or some other Os that will see the second CPU(so no millenium or 98).
4. I doubt it. The only thing I can think of is a problem using the C stepping vs. the D stepping on the newest one. Not sure how to tell this though.

Hope that helps, sorry if I went to a little too basic on this for you, just hate to repost and just covering everything.

Back