• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to Buy? P3-700E or P3-800E to OC ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daver343

Registered
I can get hold of either of these cpu's here. I really want a GHz P3, so what cpu will give me the better chance. Im thinking the 800E but maybe you guys think otherwise? I have heard of many promising results with the 700E, but from the database it looks like 1/3 or less made it to the 1gig mark, where as with the 800E, it was more like 2/3.

The 800e may be at 2/3 due to the lower fsb needed so if there is something in a pc other than the cpu that would prevent ataining a higher fsb it would not show itself as quickly like a 700e.
I have a 800e cB0 and it would easily do 1008 and I was able to push it to 1040's with alot of tweaking and a non bx board.
I think if you get a 800e cC0 it may prove to be a good cpu. I think the core (stepping) has alot to do with overclocking either of these cpus. So I would say both the 800 and 700e with same stepping should max out at about the same point with the 800 being less sensitive to system componets due to the lower fsb at the same cpu speed.

I would make the choice based on what the components you have will do you need to have the mobo, memory, and cards that will run at a high fsb to go with chips using a lower multiplier. I have an Asus CUSL2-C and components that will get me to 166fsb. With this combination I went with an 866eb. The EB series is looked down upon my many as not a good chip to OC but I submit that if you have the components needed to run at a high fsb you will end up with a faster overall system. I was able to push that 866eb to a 160fsb and it is smokin' fast.

I have no idea what your other system component will do you have to be the judge of that. Just weigh your goals and calculate if you can reach them with your current components then you will be better able to make a cpu selection.

right now there's about a $40 difference between the 2 -- true, some P3 700 don't make it to 1 Ghz, but for the money it's still the best bet (nearly always stable at 933/133FSB).

if you want the magical number, you increase your odds by drawing from your wallet.

Back