• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmmm Which Pump Relay to Buy...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BeerHunter said:
$24 for that thing???!!! That's robbery!
---------------------------------------------------

Hey I just wanted simple "plug and play" so I did'nt mind the cost so much as long as it works as advertised.

Another thing about jab tech I feel like venting on which was in my complete web-based reply form to them was the Panaflo fans I ordered from them. The fans make a horrendous droning sound even down to 5V. I contacted Panasonic and they said they are prolly really old fans with dried up barings which may have been purchased on the grey market. This was also confirmend by another retailer who said at the price they were offering them was lower than the licenced distributors list in quantites of 5000 he orders from.

all in all terrible experiance and I wish the EGG sold H2O supplies.

I meant to say that it is robbery because of the fact the thing doesn't even work. I mean I could at least understand it if they charged 5-10 for it with the mindset that "if it doesn't work, at least you haven't paid much for it" but $24 doesn't make sense. To tell you the truth, I didn't know anything about relays myself when I got mine from Swiftech and paid about the same amount and just like you, wanted something that would be plug and play. The relay I got came with instructions though and it works great. Besides, since Swiftech doesn't produce or sell anything crappy, I didn't really mind paying for it at the time.

For the Panaflo fans, they are probably right in that the bearings have dried up. You can put a bit of oil on them to make that sound go away though. There was a thread here about someone doing exactly that. I can't remember what kind of oil he was recommending for doing this but I'll dig it up.

I also edited my above post to include info about the AC connections. :)

EDIT: You are absolutely right in that Newegg should definately start carrying watercooling gear. They could make a great profit from it.

Black_Paladin said:

I meant to say that it is robbery because of the fact the thing doesn't even work. I mean I could at least understand it if they charged 5-10 for it with the mindset that "if it doesn't work, at least you haven't paid much for it" but $24 doesn't make sense. To tell you the truth, I didn't know anything about relays myself when I got mine from Swiftech and paid about the same amount and just like you, wanted something that would be plug and play. The relay I got came with instructions though and it works great. Besides, since Swiftech doesn't produce or sell anything crappy, I didn't really mind paying for it at the time.

For the Panaflo fans, they are probably right in that the bearings have dried up. You can put a bit of oil on them to make that sound go away though. There was a thread here about someone doing exactly that. I can't remember what kind of oil he was recommending for doing this but I'll dig it up.

I also edited my above post to include info about the AC connections. :)

EDIT: You are absolutely right in that Newegg should definately start carrying watercooling gear. They could make a great profit from it.

Ya swifttech is an excellent vendor/manufactuer from everything I've seen and read. originally I was going to buy everything from them but I wanted different and use the 342 hearter core, along with Dtek blocks and ehiem silent pump (which I'm very happy with BTW)...only thing left was fans and powering the pump... Everyone recmmended panaflos and I wanted a PCI based relay solution both of which Dtek did'nt sell so I stumbled onto Jab-tech visa vi Dtek's site who had both and ordered from them. What a mistake.

If you can tell me how to mess/disassemble/lube those fans I'd appreciate it.

I can cut the card to fit into PCI and all this shipping charges might not be worth even returning everyhting combined with 15% restock fees.

Orginal order was $46.98, which $7 was shipping, then if I send everything back assume another $7 in addition to 15% of $40 which is $6.. Returning this stuff would cost me $20 Total for a crappy $46.98 order. Not really worth it.

OK, I digged up some info for oiling fans. From this thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255534&highlight=bearings+oil+fan

Iron Hawk said:
One thing that I to to all of my fans to make them spin a bit faster and a bit quieter is put a drop of Protec Gunoil on the bearings. This can easily be done by peeling up the sticker on the back of the fan and placing a drop of the AFMT (Anti-Friction Metal Treatment) oil on the bearing. Then I replace the sticker and run the fan upside down to work the oil into the bearing. The protec lubricants are amazing: http://www.proteclubricants.com.

Another one from this thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=262663&highlight=bearings+oil+fan

larrymoencurly said:
I don't think you're supposed to grease sleeve bearings, only ball bearings (which are usually sealed anyway). I was told to use nothing but mineral oil and avoid WD-40 and silicone lube here.

I once got several retail boxed K6-2 CPUs in a row with ball/sleeve bearing fans that squealed badkly, and the sleeve bearings seemed to have no oil at all on them. A drop of sewing machine oil in each one quieted them down.

Yet another one:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=267655&highlight=bearings+oil+fan

stabber said:
ti4200 has been making a loud screeching type noise. So I took out the fan and opened it up. Soaked bearings in gear oil for around 5 minutes. It seemed to do the trick

My question is, will this fix it permanently? How can I tell if/when my video card overheats?
Thanks

dalilman52 said:
well if the fan starts to make werid noises like that, it usually means that it will die soon, the oil is a quick fix, but it will maybe last just a little longer

and what kind of oil did u use? the ones with teflon in them usually work better

u better either start looking into replacing the fan/getting a new cooler/RMAing

One more:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=269760&highlight=bearings+oil+fan

stabber said:
The *ONLY* problem I've ever had with this card, was when the fan was making noise. I took fan apart, and soaked bearings in gear oil. That was last week, the sound hasnt returned. Just thought I would throw that in there.

Last one:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=271180&highlight=bearings+oil+fan

Chixofnix said:
INITIALLY the fans weren't any louder than my case fans either... till 2 of the three started this GRINDING NOISE - I tried re-lubricating the fans' bearings periodically with canola oil (about the same viscosity as the stuff inside already) and that helped, but didn't eliminate the GRINDING noise... eventually, like I said, one fan completely failed.

Hope this gives you some ideas about to how to oil those Panaflos. As you see from the quotes though, the general consensus seems to be that oiling won't be a permanent solution for the problem and that the fan might fail after a while even if you oil it. I don't know this as I haven't done it myself but worth a shot I think.

BeerHunter said:
If you can tell me how to mess/disassemble/lube those fans I'd appreciate it.

As I said above, I unfortunately haven't done this myself so I am not sure about how to disassamble the fans for oiling them but hopefully the quotes I put up help a bit.

Also, perhaps someone with experience on this will post here and tell us how.

BeerHunter said:
I can cut the card to fit into PCI and all this shipping charges might not be worth even returning everyhting combined with 15% restock fees.

Orginal order was $46.98, which $7 was shipping, then if I send everything back assume another $7 in addition to 15% of $40 which is $6.. Returning this stuff would cost me $20 Total for a crappy $46.98 order. Not really worth it.

I agree, it wouldn't be worth it to return it. If you can cut the card to fit into the PCI slot, by all means go for it!

Whew... Thanks just read all those and none address the panaflo. The main problem is there is no way to access the motor since there in no hole on the back or the fan and the blade itself is compressed on somehow. Also as you say it's simply a temproary fix which may or not even work.

Back to my fan search:)

Back