• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmmm Which Pump Relay to Buy...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
why do you need a relay? my pump is super quiete, so even if i would ever turn off my computer, i wouldn't mind the noise and i am pretty picky about noise(and i sleep right above my computer). or you can leave your computer on and fold. but if you really want a relay, the swiftech relay kits can be had for $10 + $4.99 s/h on the swiftech clearence website. im not sure which one is the best though

zip22 said:
why do you need a relay? my pump is super quiete, so even if i would ever turn off my computer, i wouldn't mind the noise and i am pretty picky about noise(and i sleep right above my computer). or you can leave your computer on and fold. but if you really want a relay, the swiftech relay kits can be had for $10 + $4.99 s/h on the swiftech clearence website. im not sure which one is the best though

Well it bothers my GF sometimes and I have to go and shut off the power strip. Plus I have to find a way to power it w/o cutting up my case to route the plug.

You DO NOT want the one from jab-tech. It's a defective design whereby the pcb sticks out too far and hits the PCI slot before it seats all the way. I have one and tried it in the IC7, NF7, and KT3 ultra and I assume any board it will not fit since the PCI slots are standardized spacing.

vudoodoodoo said:
Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Criticool it is. :D

Dude that place has some KILLA deals.

Ehiem 1250 only $57...thats $10 cheaper than anyplace else
Papst Fan only $18
Cyclone Evolution only $35

makes me want to start all over:)

Criticool's Powerplant rev.2 which uses power from the PCI..

I have the Criticool Relay, and it is really nice. Keep in mind that it gets power from the wall socket. The PCI interface is only a relay control which makes the pump turn on when the computer is powered up. Criticool sells them for a very fair price as well :)

criticool also sells there stuff on ebay, like 5-10 bucks off the their store price.
make sure its rev 2 though, rev 1 doesn't have the the AC connections covered.

the jab-tech relay, is it defective in that it doesn't work? cause i have a good use for it if the only problem is that it doesn't fit in a pci slot..

I think a relay is a good idea...just so you never forget to turn the pump ON. I've done it, but luckily the smart motherboard manufacturers take precautions against my forgetfullness and shut the system down at 70C.

I have the criticool, version 2. I love it. Not that i ever turn my system off, but the peace of mind is nice

I had the relay kit from Cooltechnica that used the molex connection and it was pretty nice even with cutting out a square and all but if you are getting a relay just don't cut the cord until the warranty time has passed. You never know if you are gonna need that warranty...

On that note, since I never turn my comp off I have my mag3 plugged into a switched outlet

Daegon said:
the jab-tech relay, is it defective in that it doesn't work? cause i have a good use for it if the only problem is that it doesn't fit in a pci slot..

It does'nt seat, what i mean is you know the metal bracket you screw into your case with any card video, PCi cards or this relay card? Well the PCB on this card extends too far out hitting the PCI slots and will not allow you to screw bracket in. I mean defective in terms of it's advertised use. as far as working or not I hav'n tested because I cant fiqure out how to wire it.

There are three swire slots with very stange designations I've never seen before. N G and L? WTF? I assume G is ground or Green wire but N and L?

I have been using the Criticool power plant rev 2 for a long time and have to say it's the cleanest install for an "in-your-case" pump it also has a by pass switch that gives you the option to leave it on all the time (They call it the fill bleed switch it's on the PCI back plate)

BeerHunter said:
There are three swire slots with very stange designations I've never seen before. N G and L? WTF? I assume G is ground or Green wire but N and L?

I don't understand why you are so surprised by this. N is neutral (normally the white wire), G is ground (normally the green wire) and L is the hot wire (normally black).

The AC plug has these three wires inside it and to use the relay, all you have to do is to strip them and attach them to their respective terminals. You then use the AC plug going out the back of the card and plug that into your wall outlet or strip or whatever.

I thought the wire designations very pretty standard.

BeerHunter said:
It does'nt seat, what i mean is you know the metal bracket you screw into your case with any card video, PCi cards or this relay card? Well the PCB on this card extends too far out hitting the PCI slots and will not allow you to screw bracket in. I mean defective in terms of it's advertised use.

Cheap *******s, you have to wonder if they even tested the thing themselves on a board before shipping it. :rolleyes: A relay is really an easy thing to make provided you have a PCB and if you are interested, I can point you to a couple threads on this forum where it's explained how to make your own relay in detail (and a quality one too!!). In addition, it probably costs very little for jab-tech to produce these relays and I wonder how much they are charging for them.

My point here is that they probably don't make much profit from these things anyway and by making defective products like this (yeah I would consider a relay that can't fit in a PCI slot defective) they ruin their reputation. Is that worth it for a few bucks? I think it's just stupid...

Last edited:
May be standard but I've never seen it and it did'nt come with instructions. Last time I wired something, the terminal came labled with G and a green screw, B and a brass screw, and W and a silver screw so it was fairly easy even w/o instructions. simply connected the green, white and black wires to the terminals accordingly. Not only does this relay come w/o instructions, all the screws are silver and the letter designations are something I've never seen before...the N and L. Are you positive the hot wire is black? I thought it was white. Oh well learn something everyday.:)

Cheap *******s, you have to wonder if they even tested the thing themselves on a board before shipping it. A relay is really an easy thing to make provided you have a PCB and if you are interested, I can point you to a couple threads on this forum where it's explained how to make your own relay in detail (and a quality one too!!). In addition, it probably costs very little for jab-tech to produce these relays and I wonder how much they are charging for them.

$24

Look what these fusktards told me when i complained about it.
Original message:
2. The 120V relay will not fit in the slot it was designed for. The PCB on
this design is too long and makes contact with the PCI slots before you can
push it all the way down to screw it in. Try it yourself on any mobo..I
tried 3 different cases and no go.

As for the relay... Try to contact the manufacturer and see what they say on it.

http://www.noiseisolator.com/contact.html

John
www.jab-tech.com

The worst thing is they have no phone #, no email on thier site or address and a horrble RMA/return policy. I wonder how the hell they have a 9+ reseller rating...probably self rated.

Last edited:
BeerHunter said:

Look what these fusktards told me when i complained about it.
Original message:
2. The 120V relay will not fit in the slot it was designed for. The PCB on
this design is too long and makes contact with the PCI slots before you can
push it all the way down to screw it in. Try it yourself on any mobo..I
tried 3 different cases and no go.

As for the relay... Try to contact the manufacturer and see what they say on it.

That is stupid! It should be their job to make sure that the relay they are selling fits on a mobo (and you tried 3 and it fits on none of them!). Their response seems to confirm that they didn't bother to check if the thing even works. Like I said, making a relay is a very easy thing to do and it's actually hard to screw it up but it looks like they managed to do it by not measuring the PCB!

EDIT: $24 for that thing???!!! That's robbery!

BeerHunter said:
May be standard but I've never seen it and it did'nt come with instructions. Last time I wired something, the terminal came labled with G and a green screw, B and a brass screw, and W and a silver screw so it was fairly easy even w/o instructions. simply connected the green, white and black wires to the terminals accordingly. Not only does this relay come w/o instructions, all the screws are silver and the letter designations are something I've never seen before...the N and L. Are you positive the hot wire is black? I thought it was white. Oh well learn something everyday.:)

Well, instructions most certainly help a lot! :) I believe that every piece of eqipment should come with instructions or there should at least be a website you can go to for instructions.

For whether the black wire is the hot one, I am positive. I have a Swiftech relay kit myself and it came with instructions and the black wire is labeled L.

As far as I know (not that I know a heck of a lot - in fact I know little about electrical connections and most I learned from this forum), white wire is always neutral.

You can also check this guide: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/installationguide_S320-12kit.pdf

It is installation instructions for a Meanwell PSU *but* it also has instructions for using a relay kit with it and all the connections are shown color coded (altough I realized that they do NOT explicitly say in the document which color is neutral, hot, etc.)

Last edited:
$24 for that thing???!!! That's robbery!
---------------------------------------------------

Hey I just wanted simple "plug and play" so I did'nt mind the cost so much as long as it works as advertised.

Another thing about jab tech I feel like venting on which was in my complete web-based reply form to them was the Panaflo fans I ordered from them. The fans make a horrendous droning sound even down to 5V. I contacted Panasonic and they said they are prolly really old fans with dried up barings which may have been purchased on the grey market. This was also confirmend by another retailer who said at the price they were offering them was lower than the licenced distributors list in quantites of 5000 he orders from.

all in all terrible experiance and I wish the EGG sold H2O supplies.

Back