• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXp Setup won't recognize SATA drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

After my RMA'd Raptor came in today (old raptor died) I hooked everything up, booted into winXP setup, inserted the floppy disk for SATA drivers, loaded the SATA driver, and hit "enter" to setup windows xp.

WinXP tells me that setup could not find any hard drives installed on my computer. I know the raptor works because I hear it spool up making that high pitched whine every time I turn my system on.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Made sure that SATA was enabled in BIOS
- Tried different molex connectors
- Tried different SATA driver disk
- Tried reversing the SATA cable (don't think it matters though)

My boot sequence is:

1. CDROM
2. HDD 0
3. Floppy

Nowhere is SATA a boot choice but I guess that's because I have no drivers installed for it. Help!!!

I have no idea what's going on. Help please

First question, can you access the disk from a strait DOS bootup? No windows, just plain 'ol MSDos... If that works, check in your BIOS for the SATA settings. My motherboard has several different ways it can configure the SATA ports: "auto", IDE master/slave emulation, SATA master/master native mode, and RAID mode. You also want to make sure the drive itself certainly isn't jumpered for anything other than master or single.

Um, otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Albuquerque said:
First question, can you access the disk from a strait DOS bootup? No windows, just plain 'ol MSDos... If that works, check in your BIOS for the SATA settings. My motherboard has several different ways it can configure the SATA ports: "auto", IDE master/slave emulation, SATA master/master native mode, and RAID mode. You also want to make sure the drive itself certainly isn't jumpered for anything other than master or single.

Um, otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Just threw in the old Win98 boot disk and tried to access the C: and it was a no go. Invalid drive specification.

D: is my cdrom and A: is my floppy...no other drive letter works.

I also tried reversing my floppy cable but it didn't help any.

I tried setting the first boot device to "SCSI" but....didn't work.

I'm stumped

Last edited:
Hmmm, sounds like it really isn't working, but let's try some other things first.

You can't access the C: drive until you actually FDISK it, so give FDISK a shot first and see if it recognizes the drive. If FDISK can't see it, then you're really SOL and either something in your BIOS, your drive configuration, your cable, or maybe even the drive itself is not in order.

If FDISK can see it, try creating a partition. Reboot, and then see if you can access it. If so, give WIndows another try at install.

Just ran FDISK and it said "no fixed disks present". The raptor is up and spinning though, I can hear it.

I got fed up and went and installed the new raptor on my roomate's system (which is an NF7-S also), and pressed F4 to go into the RAID BIOS and the raptor was right there detected.

Problem is, I can't get to the RAID BIOS on my system, it hangs at the system boot failure before it gets there.

I tried another fix, which was using a different SATA cable, thinking mine might be bad. Again, nothing.

When my raptor died could it have fried the SATA support of my NF7-S?? This really sucks...I think I"m gonna have to buy a new board. Usually that would be cool but I gotta wait till I can get some $$ lol

Last edited:
Yeah, it's entirely gone for one reason or another. If it works on your friend's system, and you've already tried different cables and whatnot, there's really only one thing left isn't there?

Sorry dude :(

Albuquerque said:
Yeah, it's entirely gone for one reason or another. If it works on your friend's system, and you've already tried different cables and whatnot, there's really only one thing left isn't there?

Sorry dude :(

Oh well, DFI Lanparty here I come :attn:

If your BIOS has an option for changing the hard drive boot order, make sure that the raptor is in there and at the top of the list. In my BIOS there is an option for 'bootable add-in cards' which when at the top of the list will keep my system from booting.

trinitone said:
If your BIOS has an option for changing the hard drive boot order, make sure that the raptor is in there and at the top of the list. In my BIOS there is an option for 'bootable add-in cards' which when at the top of the list will keep my system from booting.

Mine doesn't have anything like that in the BIOS.

guy help

I got sata maxtor hdd
that tells me that it is ATA not sata
how to change it

!!has no FDISK!!

Do you have the latest BIOS version? If the raptor works on your friend's comp (with the same motherboard), then check out those settings and see if they match yours.

Also, make sure you have the right SATA driver for your MB BIOS...
BIOS V4.2.1.2 => Driver v1.0.0.28
BIOS V4.2.0.0 => Driver v1.0.0.28
BIOS V4.1.5.0 => Driver v1.0.0.22

trinitone said:
Do you have the latest BIOS version? If the raptor works on your friend's comp (with the same motherboard), then check out those settings and see if they match yours.

Also, make sure you have the right SATA driver for your MB BIOS...
BIOS V4.2.1.2 => Driver v1.0.0.28
BIOS V4.2.0.0 => Driver v1.0.0.28
BIOS V4.1.5.0 => Driver v1.0.0.22

I know my current settings are right because I previously had a raptor hooked up and working perfectly before the drive malfunctioned. I didn't change BIOS versions or change any other settings. I simply removed the drive, RMA'ed it, and installed the new one. I turned the system on exactly as I did before and tried to install WinXP exactly as I did before. It should've worked.

I checked, though, and I have the right SATA driver.

Hmmm... that's got me stumped. Not sure how the Mobo hardware could have gotten damaged from the drive dying. (Unless the two were related, somehow.) Anyone have a SATA drive you can try just to be sure?

Does your motherboard have the Intel RAID ICH5R.

Did you set your BIOS to enable RAID and set it to boot; only then you can Array it.

It's quite simple. Just make sure your hooked up to the proper SATA connection and update the BIOS. After that just boot from the Windows 2K and hit F6 and insert the RAID driver and follow through.

It took me around 30 minutes because it was giving me a hard time also I had to play around with the boot sequence.

Good luck:D

Last edited:
NoteUser said:
Does your motherboard have the Intel RAID ICH5R.

Did you set your BIOS to enable RAID and set it to boot; only then you can Array it.

It's quite simple. Just make sure your hooked up to the proper SATA connection and update the BIOS. After that just boot from the Windows 2K and hit F6 and insert the RAID driver and follow through.

It took me around 30 minutes because it was giving me a hard time also I had to play around with the boot sequence.

Good luck:D
You seem to miss the fact that he did all of that. You also seemed to not read that his board was working just fine, while using the SATA, when the previous drive unexpectedly died. You then missed the part where he removed the dead drive, replaced it with a known-good drive, and the board nor any other software no longer sees it.

So, yeah, we covered all of that already. :)

I admit that I didn't feel like checking out his board.

Any custom system the builder should have info on the part anyway.

I went through that until it went.

ok, I'm getting this message as well and I've never seen it before on any other system. But I'm not using an SATA HDD, it's a regular ATA100. I just bought it. Maxtor 80GB, it's set as Master.

The bios recognises it on as an 81GB hard disk device on the Primary master IDE. The mobo (Shuttle) has SATA built in, but since I don't have any SATA drives, I've disabled the SATA so I have 4 IDE channels.

I throw in the XP CD (no SP1/2), it goes through the beginning loading process, I enter the setup and right as I enter the setup (before the select partition screen) it says: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed, cannot continue, press F3 to quit, etc, etc. I cannot get the install to continue whatsoever.

Just for kicks, I threw in an old Win98 Full CD and it found and even partitioned/formatted the HDD. Since I had long lost the CD key, once it finished fdisc and formatting the HDD, I took it out and tried the XP CD again. It still won't find the HDD. I know the HDD is definately connected and running just fine.

Ninety-9 SE-L said:
ok, I'm getting this message as well and I've never seen it before on any other system. But I'm not using an SATA HDD, it's a regular ATA100. I just bought it. Maxtor 80GB, it's set as Master.

The bios recognises it on as an 81GB hard disk device on the Primary master IDE. The mobo (Shuttle) has SATA built in, but since I don't have any SATA drives, I've disabled the SATA so I have 4 IDE channels.

I throw in the XP CD (no SP1/2), it goes through the beginning loading process, I enter the setup and right as I enter the setup (before the select partition screen) it says: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed, cannot continue, press F3 to quit, etc, etc. I cannot get the install to continue whatsoever.

Just for kicks, I threw in an old Win98 Full CD and it found and even partitioned/formatted the HDD. Since I had long lost the CD key, once it finished fdisc and formatting the HDD, I took it out and tried the XP CD again. It still won't find the HDD. I know the HDD is definately connected and running just fine.

The settings sounds right, Primary Master but make sure it's on the end of the cable.

I would think it's not partitioned but windows installation is suppose to take care of it.

I hope your not on the Seccondary IDE connection on the motherboard.

Edit: I just thought of someting.

Set up your Boot sequence

1) CD-ROM 2) HDD 3) Floppy

You have to hit a key to boot from the CD.

BTW, stop double posting.

Last edited:
Back