• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best way to clean the dust out of fan grills?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methodx

I have a case with a metal grid in front of my case intake fans and they are so caked on with dust theres probably practically no freash air coming in to the system!

Whats the best way to remove this dust? A vacuum cleaner with a hose? A wet paper towel?

Hmm, I have that big chieftec case that everyone has...you know...the big one with the window and the door at the front that swings open to expose the 4 5.25" drive bays.

The grill in front of the fans seems pretty stiff...I wonder what I could use to cut the grill out. It's tempting though, it would def. be nice to get rid of that stupid dust collector.

As far as cleaning fan grills, canned air works great. If you don't like the clound of dust that comes up though I'd recommend a minivac. I don't know if anyone has posted this Turbo vac 800 before, but I picked mine up at Home Depot and it's stronger than my full size house vacuum and it has little electronic brush attachments that come with it. Great deal for $20

Edit since I can't seem to get the link to work right, just go to homedepot.com and search for "Turbo Vac" =)

Last edited:
Methodx said:
The grill in front of the fans seems pretty stiff...I wonder what I could use to cut the grill out.

Tin snips will take them out with ease. I use an air compressor to blow the dust out of my case every couple of weeks.

Careful with the canned air and fans. put a pencil in there to keep the fan from spinning real fast when you blow it out. It will fry the bearings.

Back