• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1x512mb or 2x256mb sticks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

I going to be putting my 2.4b back into my IT7 max2 v2 board.
Since this is a single channel board 845PE chipset, either if I buy a single stick or two stick I will get same performance give or take a couple to mb/s.

Should I buy a single 512mb stick or two 256mb sticks?
Im asking this since im not sure which of the 2 option will be most stable.
Usually one stick is the best option but im unsure that it being twice the size will affect stablilty.
Could 2 smaller 256 sticks be better.

Im going for something cheap with the ram and going to run 3.2v into it. Most likely either Kingmax 433ddr or Twinmos 400ddr CH-5 are the cheapest in my country.

1 stick of 512 is better than 2 of 256. The memory controller only has to control (for lack of a better word) one stick, even though its bigger.
~ Viper848 ~ <------oooo...elegant:p

You're correct, both less density and less sticks is better. 1x256mb is better than 1x512mb which is better than 2x256mb. With 2x256 you have the same density as 1x512mb, but with twice the number of modules. Also, 2x256 sticks rated independently at, say, 2.5-3-3-6 might not perform that well together, whereas a single 512mb stick at 2.5-3-3-6 is already guaranteed to run that speed.

Thanks.

I just ordered one 512mb stick of:
TwinMOS 512MB, DDR-SDRAM, DIMM, DDR400 (Winbond)

Would be guessing that this will be CH-5 chips.

Hope my IT7 max2 v2 likes this. Im going to use 3.2v on it an see what it will do with this cheap ram.

tenegg said:
How do you run 3.2v on that board? I have one myself and the max I see is 2.8v

Yea I can understand that.

Its like this. There were 2 different IT7 max2 v2 boards, I dont think they mark them apart with labeling but one of them for sure will NOT go over 2.8v even with the selectors enabled.
Also to past 2.8v you must use a modded bios that enables the extra higher vdimm selectors.

Back