• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 242 limits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

new_novice

Does anybody know what the limit is for the 242? I'm running them at 220 FSB right now and didn't change anything else (not even voltage) and running prime for the last hour or so and seems to be pretty good. It's running at 1.76 Ghz right now. What PCI bus would I be running, if anybody can tell me how to calculate that, because I don't believe this board has AGP or PCI locks so it's a mystery to me. Running on a MSI K8T 2FAR, with OCZ 3200 DDR.

In the Bios it would say the RAM is at 200, but using Sandra it's running at 220. Any ideas? I wouldn't want to burn this thing up just yet.

Its a 1/6 divider so your PCI bus is 36.67 and your AGP bus twice the PCI bus or 73.33. If the temps are fine then you can keep going. To help out, make sure you set the AGP rate to 4x. It allows for higher overclocks and only has a 1%-2% drop at stock speeds, which will be made up and then some by your overclocking. And advance slowly so PCI devices don't lock up and cause a major problem later.

ahh, it seems to be fine for about 2 hours running Prime, then I quit it and start up a session of CnC Generals, me and another buddy against 4 hard AI, after 15 minutes, the machine rebooted. Backed down to 1.69 for now, hmm.

Might be your NIC or video card not taking the buses well. Run prime or whatever your stress test is for at least 8 hours.

Back