• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need local acct to access over network?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

i have 3 computers running xp pro at my house. the problem i'm running into is that without the same user/pw on each computer, i can't access the shares in my network places.

This is the scenario:

3 computers, all with different username/pw. If I click on one of the other computers in my network places it brings up a windows authentication box, in which i type the username/pw for that computer and nothing comes up. I can access any machine by using administrative shares, but don't think I should have to do that or have to have the same user accts on each machine. anyone shed some light on this?

also, is there a way to make xp shares accessible to win98? all it does is bring up a password box.

thanks

The only way around it, is to select the box, allow users to change my files. (sharing properties of the shared folder) They won't be prompted to sign on.

I don't want to use simple file sharing though.

why can't xp be just like 2k on file sharing. i can only get it to half work properly.

edit: I mean seriously, what gives. I can set a share up on simple file sharing and browse directories and don't have to authenticate. If I set a share up without simple file sharing on all viewers must authenticate. Somewhere in the middle I can get the top folder to be seen with no authentication, but the subfolders need authentication. any ideas?

Last edited:
well, yes i mean you can use administrative shares and that is fine for you. but that defeats the purpose behind acl's on the shares if you have to hand out administrative accts for people to access your machine.

i'm not looking for a work around, i want it to work as designed, which i'm either too stupid to figure out or microsoft was too stupid to implement correctly.:(

Back