• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD vs CRT questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a 19" crt viewsonic and I also have a 17" lcd viewsonic. I have tried the ati 9800xt and the fx5950u on both monitors.

I am really impressed by the lcd but the crt is still a little better and for about 60% less $$$.

I feel, again, this is me, probably not too many others. I feel that if you're going to spend $500 on something designed with the sole purpose of looking at, it should look as good as possible. Now, the physical shape of an LCD is neat, it's new, trendy, eye candy, and CHICKS dig it. But unless you stare at the side of your LCD all day, the novelty isn't worth it. Personally, I'd rather have a GIGANTIC CRT than a mid-sized LCD. Gaming on a thin, 17" lcd wouldn't be as fun as a 22" crt. :)

tom10167 said:
I feel, again, this is me, probably not too many others. I feel that if you're going to spend $500 on something designed with the sole purpose of looking at, it should look as good as possible. Now, the physical shape of an LCD is neat, it's new, trendy, eye candy, and CHICKS dig it. But unless you stare at the side of your LCD all day, the novelty isn't worth it. Personally, I'd rather have a GIGANTIC CRT than a mid-sized LCD. Gaming on a thin, 17" lcd wouldn't be as fun as a 22" crt. :)

If I had a 22" crt my desk would be broken in half, and my power bill would be higher. (Yeah suprisingly it makes a difference, lol).

I used to use a CRT and tried a couple of LCD's but they weren't very good quality ones and they ghosted like mad. After that, I bought an NEC 1760 BK LCD monitor and I couldn't be happier. Better than my CRT was and takes up a LOT less space. And most of my time is spent gaming. Battlefield 1942 and Desert combat, Thief 1 and 2 Fan Missions (lots of darkness and still looks excellent), Vietcong (another game with lots of darkness and still looks great), etc. I couldn't recommend it more highly. When I got mine I got it for $389 with free shipping from Newegg, but it is now about $439 there and costs money for shipping. Best of luck if you do get one though. This one doesn't have DVI though, but if that isnt a requirement then you should be in great shape.

SnComet2 said:

If I had a 22" crt my desk would be broken in half, and my power bill would be higher. (Yeah suprisingly it makes a difference, lol).

But a 40% bigger screen. :) And honestly, when it comes down to it, the $4 a month you'd be saving in power doesn't really matter, especially considering some of us use 12 fans/water cool/PHASE CHANGE. :) I'd just take a big screen over a thin screen.

tom10167 said:

But a 40% bigger screen. :) And honestly, when it comes down to it, the $4 a month you'd be saving in power doesn't really matter, especially considering some of us use 12 fans/water cool/PHASE CHANGE. :) I'd just take a big screen over a thin screen.

I'd take a 1000 dollar 20" lcd over phase change :p. Hehe, I am saving for the 2000 23" sony or apple, or the 24" samsung 243t. But to each his own. I just prefer the way lcds look, both physical and the actual display.

Back