• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble with OC - reboot stability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I'm tinkering with overclocking my self-built system, but am having a significant problem. When I restart from Windows, the video card doesn't initialize (or POST, maybe it's called). I have to reset the system to get it to start up and then the BIOS reports the CPU as 366E. Any direction will be appreciated. System info below:

Intel P3-733 FC-PGA (attempted OC values were 140, 145, and 150 FSB x 5.5)
-running at default voltage (1.65)
-retail, with Intel HSF and no thermal paste
-Sandra reports:
-revision 8
-stepping 3
-stepping mask cB0

Abit VH6-2 mother
-VIA chipset (Apollo Pro)
-Award BIOS
-SoftMenu supports 66-200 FSB, 3.0-12.0 multiplier, and 1.30-1.85V

Voodoo 5 AGP card
Only other card installed is PCI ethernet adapter.
768MB SDRAM (256x3)
-set to CAS3

OS - Win ME

If I've neglected relevent information, please let me know.

I'm pretty sure heat isn't the problem since VIA's Hardware Monitor has never reported a CPU temp higher than 48C when the CPU is overclocked. Normal temps run around 44C/38C CPU/system, running Seti always on plus IE or some game (currently 40/30 with air conditioner on). The higher temps were seen when overclocked and using 3DMark2001.

I'm guessing (from what I've read) that the problem lies with Mr Voodoo not liking the AGP bus speed it finds at reboot, but I don't know how to determine this, or how to tweak it if it is the problem.

Also, on a somewhat related note... I've read about the old 300's being friendly to overclocking. And given the range that this Abit will allow, if I buy one at auction and push it upward, are there any risks to my other hardware and/or software. I'm itching to burn one up trying to head toward those upper bus speeds and multipliers. :)

Thanks for any info.

First of all get rid of that stock HSF, they are CRAP!! Your temps are a bit on the hot side. anything above 40c is considered HOT... Get a GOOD HSF like and ALPHA or that new all Copper thing (Glaciator, I think it is called) and use some thermal paste.
If you HAVE to use the stock intel HSF, scrape off the thermal pad with a razor, lap the thing flat and apply some good thermal paste like Arctic Silver.

Second, AFTER you have upgraded your cooling you could try upping the core voltage a little, say about .5v at a time until it becomes more stable. If you cannot reboot and have it keep the OC'd values, you are not stable.

On the rebooting thing I do not believe that it is the video card. When the CPU will not initilize or post NOTHING will happen. Upon a reboot or reset the BIOS will use the default settings to start the system. Your cpu has a Multiplier of 5.5, and after a hung-up start(black screen and no beeps) your system will reboot using a 66Mhz FSB as the default. 66 * 5.5 =366Mhz, that is why the BIOS thinks it is a 366E.

Hope some of this helps...

YES heat is a problem and you really need to get thermal compound on there now! i would not run my PC if i did not have thermal compound applied, go to radio shack and get some compound today! you should have that CPU running below 40C [below 35C even better] as overcloked CPU's dont take the heat the way a non overclocked system would. your rite about your video card maybe not liking the high agp speeds as all cards [even of the same brand] will react differently to running at over spec speeds.

just thought of this make sure sideband is disabled in registry as p3's do not like it enabled you can find directions in the tips section under videp card performance.

good luck

engjohn (Jun 17, 2001 10:31 p.m.):
First of all get rid of that stock HSF, they are CRAP!! Your temps are a bit on the hot side. anything above 40c is considered HOT... Get a GOOD HSF like and ALPHA or that new all Copper thing (Glaciator, I think it is called) and use some thermal paste.
If you HAVE to use the stock intel HSF, scrape off the thermal pad with a razor, lap the thing flat and apply some good thermal paste like Arctic Silver.

I reallize that the HSF is garbage. I had planned on getting something decent if I could find a stable speed. One of the CPU datasheets I looked at noted 80C for a temp. I can't recall where this was, but it seems that 40's wouldn't be too bad... at least, that would've been low for the last system I built and overclocked (486-25 to 33). : )

On the rebooting thing I do not believe that it is the video card. When the CPU will not initilize or post NOTHING will happen.

Ok. I misunderstood the process here. I thought that the video card would init and the BIOS screen would pop up and stop there.

BTW, how much voltage is too much? The datasheet mentioned above also listed 2.1V max. Granted, the Abit only goes to 1.80, but I don't wanna fry the CPU just yet.

Thanks for the info.

outhouse (Jun 17, 2001 10:40 p.m.):
just thought of this make sure sideband is disabled in registry as p3's do not like it enabled you can find directions in the tips section under videp card performance.

Thanks. I remember seeing sideband mentioned somewhere else now that you mention it. I'll check into this right away.

voltage will be different for every CPU up to 2.00v you should be fine with low temps. 1.9 no problems at all. i'm running 2.05 with no problems yet but i'm not tp hip on recomending it.

just another note there are tricks to get more CV out of your MB but you will have to wait until your cooling issues are addressed before i would even go higher then default.

goodluck

Godfodda (Jun 17, 2001 11:16 p.m.):

I reallize that the HSF is garbage. I had planned on getting something decent if I could find a stable speed. One of the CPU datasheets I looked at noted 80C for a temp. I can't recall where this was, but it seems that 40's wouldn't be too bad... at least, that would've been low for the last system I built and overclocked (486-25 to 33). : )

You probably will not find a stable speed until you replace the HSF.
Also if someone is running their CPU at 80c(176f) then that is really unbelievable as that is the MAX as per Intel. I has been my experience that anytime I approach about 45c - 50c or so, the system usually gets really unstable, besides 50 Celsius equals 122 Fahrenheit...

engjohn (Jun 18, 2001 02:51 a.m.):
Godfodda (Jun 17, 2001 11:16 p.m.):

You probably will not find a stable speed until you replace the HSF.
Also if someone is running their CPU at 80c(176f) then that is really unbelievable as that is the MAX as per Intel. I has been my experience that anytime I approach about 45c - 50c or so, the system usually gets really unstable, besides 50 Celsius equals 122 Fahrenheit...

Agreed, 50C usually equals instability with Intel processors. It's the magic number for me, too... if I reach 50C, I have issues.

Cooling is the key, don't play god with heat unless you're experienced... do it by the book until you know all the rules and can make educated shortcuts (like I occassionally do and get away with). Don't trust maximum values, like 2.10V or 80C, since these are arbitrary and don't take into consideration other factors... CPUs can be damaged much below these values.

Thank you all for the info. I'm going to start my price search on those better HSFs shortly.

FYI, I stepped up the FSB last night from 2-3MHz at a time, and reached 145 (800) before I tired out for the night. So far it seems stable... reboots fine, anyway. It's running seti ok; no probs with Sandra, 3DMark, or PerformanceTest. And haven't had to adjust the voltage. Don't understand why it's running fine now when it wouldn't before. I won't over-analyze it though. I'm going to play a little more with it tonight.

Thanks again all.

outhouse (Jun 18, 2001 09:46 p.m.):
Please tell us you put thermal compound on it :)

No compound. :) Gotta get my thrills somewhere. lol

Even worse than that is that I'm writing now with it at 155x5.5 (which Sandra somehow figures is 865) at 1.75V. Don't worry too much, though... I'm gonna drop it back to a lower speed (probably <800) for it's overnight seti run.
And I crammed in a couple of more fans earlier that I pulled from an old 486. Put a case fan blowing across the top half (above the Voodoo) and a little CPU fan blowing through the heatsink. This is in addition to the PS fan, two case fans, and the AC in this room cranked. :) And VIA's hardware manager is still only reporting it at 39 or 40C.

But I have ordered a new HSF. Spent 5 hours shopping and comparing and finally decided on the OCZ Gladiator with a Delta fan (oh yeah, and some compound). lol

Godfodda (Jun 19, 2001 12:49 a.m.):
outhouse (Jun 18, 2001 09:46 p.m.):
Please tell us you put thermal compound on it :)

No compound. :) Gotta get my thrills somewhere. lol

Even worse than that is that I'm writing now with it at 155x5.5 (which Sandra somehow figures is 865) at 1.75V. Don't worry too much, though... I'm gonna drop it back to a lower speed (probably <800) for it's overnight seti run... And VIA's hardware manager is still only reporting it at 39 or 40C.

But I have ordered a new HSF. Spent 5 hours shopping and comparing and finally decided on the OCZ Gladiator with a Delta fan (oh yeah, and some compound). lol

WoW! You are definitely one of those that learn will learn the hard way... but good choice for the cooling!! Do your PC a favor, don't tweak anymore until you have the right equipment.

Back