• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1000E or 1000EB.. How to push PIII to the series limit ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IONflier

HiYah Folks. My first post here. After reading some posts, I can see I'm in good company ! I'm posting from a P3B-F 700E@980. Original ASUS Geforce pure DDR (140FSB x 2/3 for AGP = 93 !) All this with a lowly golden ORB ! Details in the CPU database next door.

My question is.. I'm building a new system based on a CUSL2-C with the 815 EP chipset. I've got a GeForce2 MX400 V7100Pro, a 256Mb stick of CL=2 Crucial Tech RAM, and will soon take the CPU plunge. I just fitted a Vantec GPU/chipset cooler onto the 815 chipset with Arctic Silver II, and I have a GlobalWin FOP38 ready to install. The case has two exhaust fans and one intake. I'm going to rely on air for now.

Since the PIII series is near the top of it's range now (I still say Tualatin is no PIII chip since it won't work in PIII compatible boards!!), I'd like to get a PIII 1GHz chip and see how far this setup can go.

The critical question is whether the taller multiplier in the E chip can be taken advantage of in the 1GHz chip. I have an 800E at work. All I could get out of it is 120FSB x 8 = 960 MHz. Had to push the voltage up to 1.85 or so to get it, too !

Can the 1000EB chip can make it to better overall performance with the higher PCI and FSB speeds that it will undoubtedly acheive ? EVEN with lower CPU speed ?

The EB is a little cheaper, and in the OC'ed environment, I think it might make it to higher performance than the NEARLY maxed 1000E.

I would be evermost grateful for some input here.

ionflier

AFAIK, 1 Gig P3's won't OC much. For this reason, I think it's a better choice to get the P3EB 1000 Mhz chip. With P3's, FSB is everything. Clock Speed is nearly superfluous.
Then again, it can be argued that a P3EB 800 gives you performance that's not noticeably worse than a P3EB 1 Gig!

In a "blindfold" test, most people can't see the performance difference. Before the BM's are whipped out, you can't tell the difference.

Back