• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie - I need help overclocking a P3 800 eb mhz cpu.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilgreg70

Hello I have tons of questions so spare me a moment....I want to overclock my P3 800eb mhz,but I want to know what's the highest speed I can overclock my cpu to without overheating (I want 1gig or higher if it's possible).Next question....I read the beginners guide to overclocking....it said I needed this prog(MDM)...after I installed it said no main sensor chip was detected and it was not a right prog for me...is there another prog or way of monitoring my cpu temps before I begin to start overclocking?...O.k now the final and BIGGEST question of them all....How do I overclock a intel P3 800eb mhz cpu?

Please help me....you can also get me on msn messanger....

[email protected]

Welcome to the forum

look in the CPU data base and see how other people are doing with the same CPU. all CPU's will overclock diferently and its just a matter of luck of the draw on how yours will do. What gets your CPU hot is raising the Core Voltage [ CV ] to keep it stable when you raise your front side bus[ FSB ] if you plan to do any overclocking i highly recomend you get a better heatsinkfan[ HSF ] for your CPU before we can answer to your temp's monitoring software question we will need to know what kind of motherboard [ MB ] you have. also if your PC is a Compaq or Dell or any other name brand computer then i'm afraid its bad news when it comes to overclocking as there are no settings in bios or jumpers on the MB that will let you overclock there is a program at www.tweakfiles.com called softFSB that will let you change FSB from windows but first your clock generator must be supported.

unfortunately you are not going to have too much room to fiddle with your cpu. You have an EB P/// which means you have a low multi and a 133mhz bus. The 133mhz bus is the killer here. To overclock, you will have to push the computer over 133 which is where it starts to become a crapshoot. You are going to start knicking the PCI bus speed over its 33mhz bus and this can make lots of your cards very unstable. You MAY be able to reach a gig which great cooling and frankly luck. You will have to have the FSB set to 166mhz which is possible, but not likely. Unless you have the 1/5 pci divider option which i believe almost all motherboards don't, your pci bus speed is twice as fast which is totally off spec. I think 150mhz bus is extremely possible which will put you at 900mhz.

hmmm...I see...I'm on a gateway pc.I saw in the cpu database people were pushing 1 gig and over on a 800 mhz intel p3....but the real question I'm really trying to ask to is what is the easiest way to overclock my pc to get them speeds,I'd be happy with only 900mhz...and what's a good temp monitering prog?

im an newbie too, but a prog that helps me with every aspect of my computer is SiSoft Sandra...i got it from downloads.com, it has everything benchmarks, temp, all the specs

lilgreg70 (Jun 18, 2001 10:18 p.m.):
hmmm...I see...I'm on a gateway pc.I saw in the cpu database people were pushing 1 gig and over on a 800 mhz intel p3....but the real question I'm really trying to ask to is what is the easiest way to overclock my pc to get them speeds,I'd be happy with only 900mhz...and what's a good temp monitering prog?

More bad news a Gateway PC will not let you overclock as there are no settings in your bios or jumpers om your MB if you really want to overclock you may have to get a new MB and with the 800EB i dont think the extra cost would be worth the gain you would get. sorry there is a program called MBM mother board monitor and it may be at tweakfiles but i'm not sure.

all hope is not lost! There is a program on Shadow's ftp site and around the net called SoftFSB which allows you to change the FSB speed in windows even if the option aren't available on the board.

William (Jun 18, 2001 10:10 p.m.):
unfortunately you are not going to have too much room to fiddle with your cpu. You have an EB P/// which means you have a low multi and a 133mhz bus. The 133mhz bus is the killer here. To overclock, you will have to push the computer over 133 which is where it starts to become a crapshoot. You are going to start knicking the PCI bus speed over its 33mhz bus and this can make lots of your cards very unstable. You MAY be able to reach a gig which great cooling and frankly luck. You will have to have the FSB set to 166mhz which is possible, but not likely. Unless you have the 1/5 pci divider option which i believe almost all motherboards don't, your pci bus speed is twice as fast which is totally off spec. I think 150mhz bus is extremely possible which will put you at 900mhz.
OK I have two questions
A: I am thinking of getting a P/// 750mhz what is an EB so I'll know what to stay away from?

But for the time being I have a 533 celeron which is clocked at 600.
B: I was thinking of raseing the VIO core up I'm a 3.3v now I only have one more notch to go which is 3.5v. Is that too much going into it?

I have a Volcano II 36cfm fan and heatsink
an 80mm in back and a 60mm up front if I am not mistakeing
and I keep my system during full load in the range of 83 - 90 degrees F 83 just being system load and being hardcore pushing of my comp

Raising VIO up to 3.5 will be fine some Abit MB's are default with 3.5 so you should have no problems.

Oh forgot EB means its a 133mhz FSB so when you overclock your going with high FSB settings and low mutilpiers. not the freindliest combo.

goodluck

outhouse (Jun 19, 2001 12:49 a.m.):
Raising VIO up to 3.5 will be fine some Abit MB's are default with 3.5 so you should have no problems.

Oh forgot EB means its a 133mhz FSB so when you overclock your going with high FSB settings and low mutilpiers. not the freindliest combo.

goodluck
Got ya I understand it now I am new here.
Thanks man

Back