• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poll: K8's or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

I wish I had magic poll making powers :cry: :(

Anyways,

1.) I have an AMD K8 processor

2.) I have an AMD K7 or older processor

3.) I am upgrading to K8 soon

4.) I am upgrading when skt 939 comes out

5.) I am upgrading when skt 939 becomes affordable

6.) I plan on upgrading once AMD's 90nm comes out

7.) I do not have plans to upgrade to a K8

Im not sure about but last time I checked the roadmap the "Athlon XP" will be skt 754 and 90nm when everything else is 939 and 90nm and will be the budget chip. (Paris)

8.) I might upgrade to Paris if it is cheap

Happy polling! -THE AMD AND COOLIN mAN :cool: :cool:

I'm a combiantion of 5 and 6. I'm waiting until good 90nm hammers come out and are affordable. Or maybe I'll wait until K9, I don't realy have the money to upgrade with prices going the way they're going.

dead_man311 said:
you need a option 9 waiting till the full edition of windows 64 is out and is working good or at lease working which ever come first

thats my pick

Well there's already Windows 2003 server 64bit and it runs ok.
I don't think that it will do you much good just waiting for Win64 as if u buy earlier than that, you can always upgrade to it when its out.

Gnufsh said:
I'm a combiantion of 5 and 6. I'm waiting until good 90nm hammers come out and are affordable. Or maybe I'll wait until K9, I don't realy have the money to upgrade with prices going the way they're going.

I'm with you on that one. I too plan to do a MAJOR upgrade next year, it will be in about a year, hopefully Q1 or really early Q2.

Ive thought about upgrading to the 64, its so tempting.

but im pertty happy with my system

and plus i got gas and nitromethane in my Veins, and i really want to work on my drag car so the computer is gonig to have to wait

I'm getting the parts for my 64 box next week....with linux already doing so well (Gentoo)
in 64bit this was a no-brainer.....I could not care less about windows....(have old 98 for limited gaming)
Hopefully my new system will last a couple of years (maybe).

CN

The Coolest said:

I don't think that it will do you much good just waiting for Win64 as if u buy earlier than that, you can always upgrade to it when its out.

That was my thinking. Once it comes out all you gotta do is update the OS.

Gnufsh said:

Same here. I can see myself using my 2.4Ghz athlon until it becomes unusable if the current prices stay the way they are.

If you want I can post a poll for you, or if you contact a mod they can add one to this post.

The Coolest said:

By the time Windows-64 comes out 64-bit architecture will have evolved two-fold, and prices will be signficantly lower.

Yes, but if you want a great setup now that is still somewhat upgradable and got potential then even buying today is okay.

I'm gonna wait until the 939s are affordable and ram has quieted down for them before I'm going to take a serious look. I hope that socket 939 becomes the next 'socket A' and I can avoid having to swap motherboards and CPUs every year. Right now, it just doesn't make sense to me since my current machine is running fine and all the socket business is up in the air still.

I'm using Win2k3 as a desktop OS, and it runs just fine, the "Server" ending of the OSes name doesn't mean you can't use it as a workstation, it means you can also use it as a Server, although there are a few things you must reenable (Like hardware acceleration and the sound), but after doing it, it acts almost the same as a workstation PC.

im hoping to upgrade to a k8 midlevel machine in the winter, maybe spring, when i might have some cash. for now my current rig will last untill my 8500 is outdated, it still plays every game i throw at it almost perfectly.

Looks like a really nice system. I'll probably be building an AMD 64 pretty soon. I've just been debating on when to pull the trigger.

thanks, so far so good yeah, REALLLY stable.

I'll do Prime 95 soon, after I get BF1942 up and runnnig again.

you may want to wait for the 939's, apparently they will have PCI locks, whatever that fast PCI bus is (PCI2?) and support Dual Channel RAM configs, I don;t know how far away they are tho-.

this will be the last A64 with a 1meg Cache tho-

for some reason.. i ithink i may wait and see what the next generation of cpus after the 939's first big sellers.. and get somethin along the mid market about that time... so in 2 generations of cpus i will prolly upgrade...

college student.. come on.. i be broke

Back