• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checking bandwidth of server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
internal or external?

external would be limited to your upload speed for your connection
internal would be limited to your local lan speed 10/100

if you have an xp box, you can check the net utilization via taskmgr. start the taskmgr, then start a file transfer to your server and then monitor the networking tab of taskmgr to see your utilization. if you have w98 or win2k, you can use the netstatlive utillity from analogx.com to display your throughput.

Jaimon. I have a Windows Server 2003 XP server. Would that be the same thing?

ANd if it is, can you explain a bit more in detail.

>Put your mouse over your clock in the system tray
>right click and select taskmanager
>there is a tab on taskmanager 'networking' click on that
>with taskmanager up and displaying 'networking' copy and paste a file from another computer on your lan to your 2k3 box and then watch the network utilization on taskmanager.

I have a program called DU Meter. It's a free program that tracks network usage. It's prety neat. I've had it installed for almost 2 weeks on my server. It's a game server (Desert Combat, UT2K4 Demo, and TeamSpeak2).

DUMeter.JPG

i remember this program, it was great. in fact i just installed it again, but how come theres stuff dling and uploading all the time even when i'm not doing anything on the net? (its not big but its freaky)

PMS - I suggested that as well on my first post :D

anyways

delljunks - there is always activity on the network, these are generally broadcasts from every computer, one of those, is a broadcast for a master browser, happens every 5 - 10 min. This type of activity would show up as a dowload/upload , or in/out communications, depending on your utility and how it describes network activity. I run netstat live from analogx and it shows inbound/outbound information.

Yea, this is for my game server. THe company states I have 1000 GB of bandwidth each month. So will the file transfering on server tell me that jaimon? Or sure I get one of the other programs

Is your server going to be a Windows box?

Programs like DU Meter just monitor what goes in and out of the nic. They don't care what the packets are for.

Garfield said:
Yea, this is for my game server. THe company states I have 1000 GB of bandwidth each month. So will the file transfering on server tell me that jaimon? Or sure I get one of the other programs

This just means how much data can be transferred each month. you can transfer 1000GB each month, and this has nothing to do with bandwidth. Bandwidth is how fast information can go to and from the server, not how much can.

Then how do I find out how much bandwidth I have? For instance, I want to see how much I can "use" the server and how many other people can play until I hit the max.

But I would like to work it out on paper how much the server can be used (without getting laggy). Is this possible?

Thanks!

Garfield said:

netstat live has total stats for the month incoming and outgoing.

my stats,,,
total incoming = 2.64gb
total outgoing = 129.4mb

It also averages incoming/outgoing
try it out - it's free - nothing to configure, just install and run. You don't have to leave it running all of time to keep the stats current.

Back