• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ppl trying to hack the network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Little DeViL

Ok...

A couple of friends of mine are trying to hack the school network. My network is based around Novell.

They have been using a program called Cain&Able to get hold of ppls hashs and use them to get the persons password.

There are also trying other ways. The problem is that they tend to try and use my machine as the gunie pig, which i think aint that cool.

Now, I was wondering if there is anything that you guyz can suggest. I know that I should use firewalls and make my passwords hard to crack and that.

But what firewalls should I use. Ive changed all my passwords to more than 10 characters. Also, is there a way to change my IP address without having to restart my computer.

I know these guyz, and they dont hold back when trying things on other ppl. All help is greatly appreciated :cool:

What OS are you using? If you're using Linux or something like it, you'll need to lock stuff down. If you're using XP or something equivalent, you'll need to turn off any services you're not using (right click my comp/manage/services). I'd also recommend getting a NAT router or something to help keep people away.

A password should have letters/numbers to be highly effective. Also, a password is useless if it is being transmitted over a network without encryption. For example- FTP and Telnet aren't secure.

-ben

nebben said:
What OS are you using? If you're using Linux or something like it, you'll need to lock stuff down. If you're using XP or something equivalent, you'll need to turn off any services you're not using (right click my comp/manage/services). I'd also recommend getting a NAT router or something to help keep people away.

A password should have letters/numbers to be highly effective. Also, a password is useless if it is being transmitted over a network without encryption. For example- FTP and Telnet aren't secure.

-ben

OS is XP

edit: also, how do i know what services to stop...

Just dont let them have physical access. You will need that for cain and able. You cant stop them once they get the hash except for chagning the password. You cant get it due to windows and dos not letting u copy the file they need in windows. They would have to use knoppix (to steal ur hash) if they cant get logged in as admin.

So dont let them get physical access, also dont use words found in the dictionary, those are crackable w/ in 3min on a 2Ghz rig with 512MB ram or more. Use made up words with a few numbers for your pass.

Those are fairly easy to circumvent. Resetting the CMOS or pulling out the battery will reset the password. If you don't want them getting on your computer then put a BIOS password on it and lock the case. If it doesn't have a lock then either replace the case bolts or glue em up or something.

As for password security, Windows XP has a feature where you can lock the workstation if you are away - press Winkey+L. Also make your passwords long, with odd characters in like an & or £.

For a firewall, get Kerio Personal Firewall. You can password-protect the prog from being turned off. And it logs almost everything :cool:

Shuruga2- What that just does is get a new IP from the DHCP. You will just usually get the same IP if the lease isnt up.

Like M33P said just use a few ASCII characters in your password then they will have a hard time getting your password. Also, change it frequently too.

I've had some time to think about it, and I'm sticking to what I said in the first place. I think I'd kick some friend @SS too.

Atomic wedgie at least.

-ben

How about if you just ***** slap these retards for being stupid? Or, turn their asses in? Am I the only one who thinks the problem here isn't technical in nature (how to keep them from cracking passwords), but human instead (re-educating the idiots to keep them from f*cking up in the first place)?

v8440 said:
How about if you just ***** slap these retards for being stupid? Or, turn their asses in? Am I the only one who thinks the problem here isn't technical in nature (how to keep them from cracking passwords), but human instead (re-educating the idiots to keep them from f*cking up in the first place)?

Ya i would agree on the turn them in..but i mean its hard to turn your friends in...
IF you have the guts you could blackmail the Fu*k out of them - muahahahaha

Zoltan

If they were my friends I would prolly chew them out if they touched my comp w/o asking, lol. We all got a rule about that, lol. I would tho give them a talking to since what they want to do is just stupid. Also, ASCII characters work great for passwords and make them harder to crack, they still will be crackable no matter what but it will take considerably longer. I hear a 24/7 week or more, lol.

Didnt see anything there that would help me... Any thing else, like other programs that i can use against them, or am i stepping on the edge of the rules?

Ya they arn't really good friends to have if you ask them not to hack into your box and they won't. Have you tryed telling them not to? I would deffinetly lay the smack down if my 'friends' were doing it without my permission....not that I know anyone like that but..

A little off topic. Arn't windows passwords easier to crack than linux passwords because linux uses "rice" or somthing. Just somthing I remember from an article a little bit ago.

Back