• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me out here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Selkie

Registered
I tried to get my p3 450 to a 500 on my asus p2b by changing the jumper settings.
nothing happened. what should i do?

Like Outhouse said, the multiplyer jumpers won't have any effect. Check your manual for the Frontside Bus jumper settings. You may have to change the voltage too. From checking in the CPU database (available from the home page) it looks like most oc'ers have the voltage set around 2.0. If this chip is in an OEM computer (HP,Dell,Compaq etc..) your overclocking options will be very limited. I had a little lucj with SoftFSB, a software program which changes the frontside bus from within windows You can find it at http://www.tweakfiles.com. If you specify which version and revision of the P2B you have other members may be able to give you more specific advice.

If your board has the option for a 133mhz fsb then you may well be able to get it up to that. But aiming for a 110-125mhz fsb is more practical giving you around 500mhz.
Before you ask if the multiplyer can be changed or unlocked or anything I'll just say no. It can not be done and I much doubt it ever will be. I know this is a negative attitude but a lot of intelligent and some none intelligent people :D have tryed many things to do it and it just doesn't seem to be possible with in the realms of practicality. Intel doesn't want people getting something for nothing and they put a stop to it. Luckily they haven't worked out an fsb lock yet so keep your fingers crossed.

It's me again
okay, if i step up the volts to two, to i need to do anything for cooling?

Selkie (Jun 24, 2001 06:50 p.m.):
It's me again
okay, if i step up the volts to two, to i need to do anything for cooling?

You really need a way to check temps, i hope you have one, if your temps are fine when you raise your CV then no you will not need better cooling but more then likely your temps will go up requiring a better heatsinkfan [HSF] and maybe some better case cooling [maybe 2 case fans] also some good thermal compound will help quite a bit also.

goodluck

I don't believe the p2b has the functions for reading the internal diode on intel chips (its a small chip near the slot one called the maxim 1617 chip) so you will need to get a digital thermometre like the senfu one. It's only about $15-20 and they are great. you position it with the tip of the thermister touching the edge of the core and your away. It may not be as accurate or fast acting as the internal diode but it's good, it responds almost instantly to temp changes and is probabally more accurate than the readout from the internal diode as they are usually mis-calibrated and only give readings accurate to 1oC where as the senfu probe is accurate to 0.1oC
You can even do a mod to them which lets you hook up several thermisters and measure several differant temps by turning a switch.

Back