• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need mobo advice (picking RAM)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehGoober

Ok, what I'm want to do is put 1 or 2 1GB sticks of DDR RAM (either PC2700 or PC3200) in to a motherboard but I want to be able to use HD RAM (as it's less costly than LD.)

My problem is that I've been reading that HD RAM is usually incompatible with, well, ALL Asus boards as well as ALL Nforce2 boards. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Looking to set up something like this:
AMD XP 2500ish
Radeon 9800 Pro (ish, maybe soon or later...)
HDD
CD burner
1-2 GB RAM (would prefer it have the option of using PC3200+ but PC2700 is fine.)
Built in LAN is a plus but I'm using wireless and will be getting something that plugs into the USB port anyway.
Floppy

Something like that. Also, I'm probably not going to be overclocking this one. Does anyone have a nice cheapy mobo that I can get? Or perhaps they can clear up a misconception about the High/Low density RAM in Asus boards/Nforce2 Chipsets. (This is relating to 1GB DIMMs only.)

Thanks

Back