• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have a nice 2.4b, which C will do about the same?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aktunka

Well, the machine in my sig is being held back by the crappy Abit board, so I need to get a new board. I need a board that will accept 1GB of PC3700 RAM in dual channel (2x512) of HyperX. My original plan was to take my 2.4b and transfer that into a new board for temporary solution, but it seems as though if I do that at least on some boards then I can't use any higher than PC2700 RAM. So, that leaves me probably needing a new processor as well. Which of the C series of P4 seems to be giving the most bang for the buck right now? I ask because my 2.4b is at 3.42 at stock voltage no problems, so would like to get a C that will perform at least as well. Unless someone can tell me of a board my 2.4b will go into that will accept 2 512MB sticks of Kingston HyperX PC3700? Thanks!

Thanks for the responses bchur. The only thing that is kind of holding me back on making a purchase at the moment is that from looking at the asus site and the info for that board, the highest speed ram it says it will support is pc3200. Now, one might think they could assume that it should also not have a problem accepting pc3700 since it has been around for a while, but assumption is the mother of all F ups. I assumed that my Abit BH-7 would be fine for PC3200 since it had been around for a while, but after I went to add another dimm of PC3200 I found out that the BH-7 will only support a single dimm of PC3200 so I was out of luck for memory upgrades since it wouldn't make any sense to buy old memory. I have emailed Asus with the questions regarding the ram though so lets hope it will fit the bill! There was a really nice Gigabyte board I was interested in, but with 875 chipset and a 2.4b, it would not even accept pc3200 ram. Thanks again.

Yeah thats the highest speed if not overclocked. If you overclock your CPU, then it supports PC3700. There would not be any point in selling it if it didn't work in the boards. It will work.

You don't need a new processor, nothing can be that much better to worth the trouble. As mentioned above, P4P800 Deluxe will be a good board. If you are willing to spend more, then the one in my sig is the choice.

As for RAM, since your FSB is 190MHZ, then PC3200 will do fine. So pick some low latency PC3200 or PC3500. Anything higher isn't necessary.

Very lucky to have a 2.4B can do 3.4GHZ. I had one a while ago, maxed out at around 2.8+GHZ and it wasn't stable, had to lower it to 2.7GHZ.

Thanks again for the replies. I found a DFI Lanparty 875 Pro in newegg refurbs and decided to give it a try. I am hoping I can take the processor even higher as I could boot into windows and even mess around a little bit before crashing at 199 FSB on my current board, so maybe if I actually try throwing a little bit of extra voltage I can get even better. I guess I just really wanted to try a new manufacturer since 90% of all boards I have had have either been Asus or Abit, and I am swearing off Abits forever.

Anyhow, will give this DFI which I have heard alot of good stuff about a try, and if it doesn't work out well I will go back to an Asus. Thanks again.

Back