• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copopermine or Not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

It_The_Cow

I have a Pentium III 750 mhx processor, but I'm not sure if it's a coppermine. According to a site I went to a while ago, it was a CuMine based on the numbers on it, but on the box, it isn't mentioned anywhere. Which one should I trust

All PIII 750's will be coppermines...no exceptions. The version that a processor is(ie. coppermine, katmai, tualatin) is mostly just looked upon by industry proffesionals or hardware enthusiasts. Intel really doesn't put this lable on the product. You have to take the product they give you, look at the codes, and then check the spec sheets to know what version you have. Or, in a situation like this, all PIII's(desktops only) between 650 MHZ and 1 GHZ are going to be coppermines. At the upper and lower ends of this range, there may be other versions(katmai on the lower end and tualatin on the high end if they ever release them).

There were 550Mhz coppermines as well as 600Mhz coppermines. However, there were also 550Mhz and 600Mhz Katmais. Anyway, any PIII 650Mhz or higher is bound to be a coppermine. Also, contrary to what a few people seem to think they made slot1 coppermines as well as FCPGA. In fact I believe it was only a month or so ago they quit making slot1 chips.

Anyway, if anyone had a slot 1 550 or 600 and they aren't sure which it is, the way to tell is by the Voltage and level 2 cache. The Katmais ran at 2.0v whereas coppermines at this speed ran at either 1.65v or 1.7v depending on stepping. The Katmais also had 512K level 2 cache compared to 256K for the coppermine. Futhermore if you physically examine a Katmai chip you'll see there are 2 chips located on the board off to the side of the cpu. These were the cache ram chips. On a coppermine the cache ram is integrated into the cpu itself and these 2 chips aren't present. of course all Katmai processors were slot 1. So, any FCPGA 550Mhz or 600Mhz PIII would be a coppermine.

i have a coppermine 600E Slot 1, its running at 780, but the temperature sensor on my chip is totally wack....it says its 70 degrees c, but im able to touch the the heatsink, (my estimate is about room temperture)...why is it so high?

Back